Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HELP! Puppy got ahold of a stickey pad for mice!!! >

HELP! Puppy got ahold of a stickey pad for mice!!!

HELP! Puppy got ahold of a stickey pad for mice!!!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 AM

Lightbulb Gummy Stuff

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
Puppy managed to find a stickey board meant to catch mice. Glue is now on my wool rug, table leg and her paw. Anyone got any ideas on what to use to remove it....The wool rug is vegetable dyed and puppy likes to chew and taste everything and anything......worse than a child...worried about making her sick and also ruining my rug. Any ideas to clean one or the other would be more that a little helpful. Thanks Carol

Mayonnaise works wonders for removing sticky stuff. It will not harm the puppy or the finish on your furniture, but I don't think I would try it on your rug. I would opt for "Goo Be Gone" for that. Good luck !
Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 PM

You have to remember that puppies are 4 legged toddlers.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonomine View Post
I hate hate hate those glue traps. I didn't know you had to kill them yourself after they get stuck and my husband went into detail about how one died. I banned them from the house.
Ditto- PLEASE do not use the glue traps for mice. What a horrible way to die - with your feet glued down and you can't escape . I hate mice in the house as much as anyone and I would NEVER use them. Snap traps usually kill them quickly.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 AM
QKO

Ditto some more - whomever thought up those glue traps should be forced to undergo an adult-sized one. Not even a mouse deserves to die struggling and starving or go through that kind of torture.

The newer plastic snap traps do a great job, they're reusable, and even if your dog gets into them all they'll get is a little harmless nip.

And you won't have a mess all over your carpet.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by QKO View Post
Ditto some more - whomever thought up those glue traps should be forced to undergo an adult-sized one. Not even a mouse deserves to die struggling and starving or go through that kind of torture.

The newer plastic snap traps do a great job, they're reusable, and even if your dog gets into them all they'll get is a little harmless nip.

And you won't have a mess all over your carpet.
After a mouse is caught in the glue trap the way it dies is up to you. You choose it's death. You can choose to let it die slowly or you can kill it very quickly and painlessly. Also, even the old wooden snap traps are reuseable. You only have to put the trap under very hot, hot water to remove the smell the panicked or dead mouse left on it. Then it is as good as new again. If your snap trap catches the mouse by the tail as sometimes happens you need to handle it carefully. My mother was bitten by a mouse as she picked up the trap it was caught in and had to have shots. Mice carry lots of diseases, usually on the fleas on their bodies, sometimes in their urine.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 AM

You might try goof off. I'd check it out first on the label. Sells at walmart
Old 02-18-2013, 04:25 PM

Thanks for all help and ideas you ladies gave.....I ended up using DeSolvIt contractors solvent. I worked great!~ Just melted the glue with no injury to the rug or table leg...Smell was a little strong but able to remove most of it with soap and water. Puppy so far still has some glue on her fur...Parents don't want to do anything saying it will wear off and it will (checked with vet). For those worried about the glue traps............. I have a pest control company come to the house every three months....will be asking for a different way to trap the little buggers! We live in country with fields, barns and farm related grains surrounding us, so we have an ongoing battle with the little critters. Thanks again for all the imput.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:54 PM
QKO

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
After a mouse is caught in the glue trap the way it dies is up to you. You choose it's death. You can choose to let it die slowly or you can kill it very quickly and painlessly. ..snip...
I guess that's true, if you notice it. If you're gone for the weekend, or if the trap is in a dark run in the garage where you don't check it every few minutes, maybe not so much...

I only use traps in the garage myself. Having two rat terriers living in the house makes sure the little critters don't last long if they get in.

Last edited by QKO; 02-18-2013 at 05:56 PM.