Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help us make 2 sun shades for our mobility scooters/any ideas? >

Help us make 2 sun shades for our mobility scooters/any ideas?

Help us make 2 sun shades for our mobility scooters/any ideas?

Old 04-01-2011, 04:29 AM

Hi,my husband and I have 2 older mobility scooters,and we ride them every afternoon with our rat terrier dog Pepper.It's getting warmer,almost 100 degrees today down here on the ca/az/mexico border.We ride 5 miles or so a evening on the Colorado river desert..I know I can make us some shade.I have the netting/sun shade/and all kinds of pipes,and the elbows to fit.Just need an idea of how to make it and mount it to the side arms in the back of the seats.As we have baskets on the back and the front.He's 84 yrs old (my hubby).I'm disabled,but between us and the tools he has we can get er done.Oh,and today for the 1st time this yr,I ran up on a 3 to 4 ft baseball sized rattlesnake.I was following my dog and she was past it and I was following her when all at once I heard the 'loud' rattling and looked up and 2 ft in front of me to my horror was the monster upright 1 ft off the ground with his head in the air hunched back and hissing at me.Looked like a king cobra I swear! I imeadiatly stopped,and my buggy would not go into reverse.(I thought (a-oh,not good)I had to put my feet on the ground and back peddle.(push it back)As it slithered off by the time my hubby got to me.Was so stunned,I didn't know they were even out yet.In the summer,we see them all the time,and ride on by them.They don't bother me,and I don't bother them.I was just shocked they were out already.But now we know so will be more vigilant and not let the dog run in that area till we get out more into the open.Then I'll let her off the cart.She minds really well thank god.Cause when she came back to me today (when I screamed),she seen the snake and I called her to me and she made a wide circle around the snake and got on my cart.She knows what they are,and knows to leave them alone.Anyway,that was my excitement for the day.Biggest one I ever saw down here.So,getting back to the shade.Any ideas?I saw some on ebay,but they look cheap,not a lot of full coverage,and were $65.00 plus shipping each.We need the back covered,sides hanging down some,and full front.I was thinking of maybe putting a couple of poles in the front (for support) on the bed of the scooter,yet it can't obstuct our steering.I know a lot of people have these,that could probably use one too.So,am sure they could benefit too.Thanks
Old 04-01-2011, 12:01 PM

Hello,Anybody out there?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 PM

Is this posted?If it is could you let me know?Thanks so much
Old 04-01-2011, 03:45 PM

yes, you are posted. Unfortunately I don't have any ideas but I do have a scooter!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

Oh my gosh!! I'm so glad nobody got hurt. The thought of seeing one of those scares me to death!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 PM

I do hope that both of you carry cell phones!! And lots of water!!

As to the shades, the angle would have to be thought out carefully, thinking of the air flow. Think of how a hat flops down when you are driving fast, that might make you think of making it in a cigar shape in front. I'd do a lot of Internet checking to see if anyone else has done this.

Maybe you could think of having very light aluminum pipes bent in a gentle curve, with spaces on it to attach the uprights, which should be at least 3 for balance.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 PM

I bet with a little thoughtful designing, you sould come up with a frame of pvc pipe. It comes in lots of sizes, is very flexible and there are plenty of fittings available for it! :D Then you could make a cover to fit on it!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 PM

This site may get you started:

http://www.discountramps.com/scooter-canopy.htm

It shows dimentions. If you click on the pics it shows how it's attached, but better yet scroll down & click on the "instructions". It's a pdf file in detail. Maybe you could take the design from there & add to it.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 PM

Great,Thank you so much.We'll get something figured out between everybody and will make shade of some sort for the scooters.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 PM

Yes,I just wasn't expecting them out this early.Down here we see them a lot so do respect them.We both were born and raised in the desert so have seen many.But this was only the 2nd time I myself had one rear up and rattle at me.