Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HELP!!!!!!!   we are getting shocked. >

HELP!!!!!!! we are getting shocked.

HELP!!!!!!! we are getting shocked.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

it happens to me here too.. dilute a lil bit of liquid downy in a spray bottle with water, spray carpet.. not only will it take away static cling it will smell April fresh... careful not to use too much downy will leave blue spots if u use too much- just a couple of tablespoons-depending on the size of your spray water bottle..
Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 AM

I have humidfier running in the livingroom all day and night.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 AM

I will try the sock thing.........I was raised with wearing layers to keep warm, as not to have the heat temp so high and running bill up, but I will try this one for sure. Thanks

Originally Posted by sahm4605
having the humidifier helps. you can also when you take showers leave the door open to the rest of the house. it will help moisten the air. but unfortunately getting zapped is part of the "mid-west" winter experience. I think it has shaved about 5 years off my life with all the electricity I generate. I would also suggest not wearing socks in the house. and not too many layers. just a warm sweatshirt or sweater. Also if you keep the heat down below 70 it helps also.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 AM

I will try it, thanks

Originally Posted by kathy
I've heard that if you keep a dryer sheet (new) in your pocket it helps.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:09 AM

The carpet is blue, so I won't be to worried, will put spray bottle on list to purchase. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
it happens to me here too.. dilute a lil bit of liquid downy in a spray bottle with water, spray carpet.. not only will it take away static cling it will smell April fresh... careful not to use too much downy will leave blue spots if u use too much- just a couple of tablespoons-depending on the size of your spray water bottle..
Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 AM

In one of my homes, when I lived in the north, we had a humidifier attached to the furnace. A little costly, but it worked wonderfully. Even in NM, it is dry here all the time. I've been thinking about putting one in this house. When I can afford it.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 AM

I have this problem at work, I carry a fabric softener sheet in my pocket, it really helps. If I am going to touch something I know is going to shock me I touch the softener sheet through my pocket(you don't even have to touch it directly) We also spray the chairs with the diluted fabric softener solotion. Anyway the fabric softener sheets really work. I work in an ICU and the first time I went to turn up a patients oxygen in the dark and seen the huge spark I freaked, I could jus see the spark ignighting an explosion.Winter comes and the fabric softener sheets are a staple in my locker!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

synthetic carpets and synthetic in clothes only make it worse too :D:D:D
Old 12-08-2010, 08:22 AM

humidifier or water simmering. We have that problem, too. We put a tea kettle on the range and on the wood stove....just have to remember to watch the water levels.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:22 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I hang damp bath towels to dry in the bedrooms, especially at night. Have even been known to get them nearly dripping wet to hang on a clothes rack at the foot of the bed.

Never dry clothing completely; use a dryer rack to finish hanging them out of the dryer each day, as this adds a hint of moisture to the air.

Use a neti pot to keep your nose moist and clear.

Leave an inch of water in the bottom of the tub, and leave the toilet seat lids up.

Jan in VA