Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HELP!!!!!!!   we are getting shocked. >

HELP!!!!!!! we are getting shocked.

HELP!!!!!!! we are getting shocked.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:26 AM

Thanks Jan, I am going to start putting water in the tub and I always leave the lids up on toilets.

As always you all come through for me and the QB.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I hang damp bath towels to dry in the bedrooms, especially at night. Have even been known to get them nearly dripping wet to hang on a clothes rack at the foot of the bed.

Never dry clothing completely; use a dryer rack to finish hanging them out of the dryer each day, as this adds a hint of moisture to the air.

Use a neti pot to keep your nose moist and clear.

Leave an inch of water in the bottom of the tub, and leave the toilet seat lids up.

Jan in VA
Old 12-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Opening the dishwasher when using the heat dry setting and letting the steam into the house works great to get moisture in the air. It will be wasted steam so may as well use it. We use wood heat and I keep a big kettle of water on top of the fireplace insert. I use Static Guard spray in the car and I spray my shoes, coat, gloves, hats, scarves, and most important of all my hairbursh with the stuff.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:30 PM

and watch the fabric content of the clothing you wear...fleece and other all polyester fabrics are bad at generating static electricity while cotton is easier on the body..
Old 12-08-2010, 01:34 PM

Usually there is a setting on the furnace where you can set the humidity to a higher level. We are having the same problem here in MI.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:44 PM

You can use Downy in warm water to take out the sticky stuff from the floors and walls. If you have a steam cleaner for the floors runit with a tank of Doeny water. I use downy water also t remove wall opare and border.

Glad youare getting the sewing room set up. I hope yours goes faster than mine.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:51 PM

If you have your own carpet shampooer, put some downy in the rinse water. Carpet comes out super soft & gets rid of static electricity. Be careful with your computer if static electricity is high. You can damage it.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:15 PM

That just started here this week, too. I hate it! I just take my hip or elbow and make the first touch with them - doesn't seem to hurt so much. Five gallons of water a day running through the humidifier and it hasn't slowed down the static yet, will be another week.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Living in Nebraska we have the same problem. So once the furnace comes so does the humidifier.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:30 PM

We've got static here in Georgia right now, too. Usually it's humid here, but not at the moment!

You know it's bad when the cats cringe when you start to pet them! LOL! One of mine in particular is always getting his ears zapped. POW! Poor guy! :lol: I try to touch something else before I touch him, but it doesn't always work.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
it happens to me here too.. dilute a lil bit of liquid downy in a spray bottle with water, spray carpet.. not only will it take away static cling it will smell April fresh... careful not to use too much downy will leave blue spots if u use too much- just a couple of tablespoons-depending on the size of your spray water bottle..
I was going to suggest diluted softener too - I'd spray it all over just like fabreeze. Remember to use softener in the washer too.

How about rubber shoes to ground you? :)