Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hen of the Woods Mushrooms

Blog Entries

Hen of the Woods Mushrooms

Has anyone ever heard of these mushrooms? My dgd and her dh just gave me a bunch of these and even tho I looked them up online I am not sure I am comfortable cooking them. We have morels that I grew up eating and I'm used to those. These are strange to me and not sure I want to use them LOL

Blog Entries
    I Googled the name and found several websites with info, such as these:
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/ou...218885321.html
    http://www.foodonthefood.com/food_on...-mushroom.html
    http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mus...fTheWoods.html
    http://fluxbiota.blogspot.com/2012/1...-of-woods.html

I've never knowingly eaten any mushrooms that didn't come out of a grocery store or restaurant, so can't comment!

We spent last Saturday afternoon looking for them in the woods near us. Unfortunately we haven't had enough rain here and didn't find any that weren't all shriveled up. My daughter-in-law said these are better tasting than morels. She is a mushroom lover. Cook them up in butter with a little onion, you may like them.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    If you have a fine dining restaurant in town, you might ask the chef if he would like them, if you are afraid to use them. I'm sorry, I wouldn't want to either. "When in doubt, don't."

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Power Poster
    Sorry, just not worth to me.

Blog Entries
    I grew up hunting morels in the timber. I have no problem eating mushrooms that are fresh picked. I just was not familiar with this kind of mushroom. I did look up alot of info online and so did my dgd and her dh.

They are used in fine dining. I will probably try them and see if we like them or not.
    I am a huge mushroom lover. so we'll see! I also grew up will all the warnings about mushrooms.

I grew up eating morels too. Cant answer your question about the Hen of the Woods. Hopefully someone can identify them for certain for you.
    Sandra

Morels are safe, I wouldn't trust any others. Bad mushrooms can really reak havoc with your body and some can even kill you.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We eat hens of the woods around here all the time. Cut in strips, bread and fry like morels. You can also bread them, lay them on cookies sheets and freeze them. Bag them up and eat them all winter.

Blog Entries
    If the question enters my mind I ain't eating it. I tend to err on the side of caution. I would pitch them. Besides the grocery store does not sell bad and/or poisonous mushrooms

My BIL was on a mushroom kick a few years ago. He and my sister had an agreement - NOTHING QUESTIONABLE!! They often took his finds to a restaurant to be cooked but they were only served to them. I'm not sure a restaurant would use them to serve to their other customers.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    a friend brought me some last week . I've fixed twice and froze the rest. it comes in a bunch like cauliflower. I like them and trust her to not poison me!!! LOL

They're perfectly safe to eat. We are in a cooking club and last year, one woman bought (at enormous expense) several pounds of hen of the woods and was very excited abut them. They tasted fine, but not so different from ordinary button mushrooms to justify the expense. Unfortunately, I have never tasted morels so I can't compare.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Blog Entries
    Funny you should mention this Rhonda because our local health food store is hosting a class on those mushrooms this month.

Blog Entries
    Very interesting mushroom. I have seen them but never knew who they were. They sound wonderful.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I have never had a morel but we do eat mushrooms :Portobellos and baby Ports also. Ask a local chef; he or she maybe able to settle your doubts.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    my dad would go into the woods hunting for them. delicious when you get the right ones.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I Googled Mushrooms/Hen of the woods variety. Clicked on Cookng the Hen of the Woods. Big page with different ways of preserving for consumption. I'm not a big mushroom eater.