Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 101

Thread: herniated discs...have you got em??

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    I was just told that the HIP issue I have been being treated for over the last year plus was NOT a hip issue at all...though since the Doc would never take xrays or have an MRI done how would she have known...fast forward to a NEW doc..would not even see me until I had xrays...did not like them so off for MRI...today I am told..worst case of 3 herniated discs he has ever seen...with multiple other issues causing nerve damages!

    Great....

  2. #2
    Senior Member Opal Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    871
    OMG I feel bad for you. I was diagnosed over a year ago with disc issues (can't remember the technical term). I have periodic numbness and tingling in my left leg, but the pain has gone away. The doctor said at some point I will need surgery. I also have arthritis in my left hip. Isn't it fun getting old?!

  3. #3
    Power Poster alikat110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Waco, Texas
    Posts
    15,217
    Blog Entries
    9
    I have a bulging disc. Very painful when acts up. Uncomfortable most of the time! Not enough "to need surgery" according to md. Therapy ineffective. Hope your surgeon can do something to help you

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    8,588
    Blog Entries
    14
    A lot of us have them! In fact they say MOST ppl have them. Stretch, try to stay in shape ( I'm still trying!) keep the core strong, walkm or swim for exercise, don't suffer in pAin needlessly !!! Also educate. Educate! It's ur body!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member sunni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Poconos, PA
    Posts
    452
    Disc issues here too....two lowest are compressed and one presses on my sciatic nerve. YOu have my sympathy

    robin

  6. #6
    Super Member MaryStoaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    La Quinta, CA
    Posts
    3,925
    I have 6 herniated discs in my upper back and neck. Chiropracter visits, regularly for 3 years, have helped me a lot, at least the pain and numbness in my hands are reduced to a level I can live with. I had an MRI which helped the Dr. to pinpoint the problems. Now I still do what I did before but more carefully and I've gotten new tools (like vacuum cleaner, lawn mower etc.) which are easier for me to use.

  7. #7
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,884
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have a couple of herniated discs that showed up on an MRI (along with arthritis and stenosis stuff I cannot even spell). Doctor sent me to a pain clinic that specializes in back and neck problems. They have specialized exercise machines to strengthen specific muscles. Doctor there told me that the best thing for my bad discs (no nerve damage) was exercise to strengthen the back muscles. Also told me that exercises are necessary to pump nourishment into discs, that the worst thing you can do is not move. Went to the pain clinic for workouts twice a week for 6 weeks or so; haven't had a problem since, and that was several years ago.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Opal Jane
    OMG I feel bad for you. I was diagnosed over a year ago with disc issues (can't remember the technical term). I have periodic numbness and tingling in my left leg, but the pain has gone away. The doctor said at some point I will need surgery. I also have arthritis in my left hip. Isn't it fun getting old?!
    HEY who is old??? I have only been 50 for 3 weeks! Yeah lots of arthritis in hip, but the discs are really bad! Dr wants me stay on pain meds, I chose NO...so it will be fun til they do the surgery...NOT...

    still plan on doing water walking daily and the stability ball work out...

  9. #9
    Senior Member wvhill22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    662
    Blog Entries
    9
    my son has the same thing and only 19. after months of dealing with docs and physical therapy and epiderials we took him to a chiropractor and in three visits he is finally feeling better. He can actually do his job now. and no more pain in this leg

  10. #10
    Power Poster lynnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    37,633
    Blog Entries
    1
    i know how you feel, have degen disc disease along with ruptured discs nerve dam all the stuff, getting a dorsal nerve stim put in hopefullly next week, went for the trial last week, got to the doc tomorrow to set up surgery app. I had to get off all those drugs i took every day. look into that at a pain magmt doctor, some people here have themimplanted already. what a difference it makes, no pain, no drugs pm me if you want info

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie
    i know how you feel, have degen disc disease along with ruptured discs nerve dam all the stuff, getting a dorsal nerve stim put in hopefullly next week, went for the trial last week, got to the doc tomorrow to set up surgery app. I had to get off all those drugs i took every day. look into that at a pain magmt doctor, some people here have themimplanted already. what a difference it makes, no pain, no drugs pm me if you want info
    I am hoping for a NON-surgical healing..but the Dr today said it was highly unlikely..sigh...funny thing is all of my pain in my hips/legs...NOT in my back...who knew...

  12. #12
    Super Member lynnsim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,506
    I have one in my lower back. I've not been told that I need surgery, but wouldn't do it anyway. I just try to live with the pain and never, never lift anything heavier than 5 lbs. I forgot last week and paid for it all week, lol. Good luck with your treatment.

  13. #13
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,668
    Blog Entries
    194
    I hope you start feeling better soon

    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I was just told that the HIP issue I have been being treated for over the last year plus was NOT a hip issue at all...though since the Doc would never take xrays or have an MRI done how would she have known...fast forward to a NEW doc..would not even see me until I had xrays...did not like them so off for MRI...today I am told..worst case of 3 herniated discs he has ever seen...with multiple other issues causing nerve damages!

    Great....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cypress, Texas
    Posts
    4,744
    My mother has all those back issues and did the pain management shots in the spine a couple of times. The first one lasted about 5 months, the 2nd about 4 weeks. Accupuncture has given her the most relief. Yes, all of her pain is in her legs, minimal back pain when she does too much. Mother is 86 and this has been a battle for about 10 years. Good luck!

  15. #15
    Senior Member Becka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Springfield, Illinois
    Posts
    647
    I have a couple lower discs that the DR herniated when he had to move my tailbone so my daughter could be born, 25 years ago. Ached off and on for 15 years, then my dentist - yes, my dentist - told me to take prenatal vitamins and start eating right, gave me some stretchy exercises. Doesn't bother me near as much as it used to, and usually then because I've done something stup... that I shouldn't. He also diagnosed my rosacea. What a guy. Married, but no one's perfect :)

  16. #16
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie
    i know how you feel, have degen disc disease along with ruptured discs nerve dam all the stuff, getting a dorsal nerve stim put in hopefullly next week, went for the trial last week, got to the doc tomorrow to set up surgery app. I had to get off all those drugs i took every day. look into that at a pain magmt doctor, some people here have themimplanted already. what a difference it makes, no pain, no drugs pm me if you want info
    I am hoping for a NON-surgical healing..but the Dr today said it was highly unlikely..sigh...funny thing is all of my pain in my hips/legs...NOT in my back...who knew...
    I definitely urge you to seek a doctor that will allow you to try physical therapy first. Not a chiropractor but actual physical thereapy. I have two disks in my back (I'm sorry I can't remember the numbers) that were on the verge of rupture. I had hip pain (called referred pain), back and neck pain. The doctor wanted to do surgery on me immediately but I begged him to let me try physical therapy first. The only reason he relented was because I was able to walk (just barely) into his office on my own. I did intensive PT and now I have been pain free for 8 years. Those years also included a pregnancy (which he said I should avoid as it would cause too much stress and may cause the discs to rupture). I am careful about lifting in certain positions and I had one little flair up but for the most part no further issues.

    It may not be appropriate for your specific situation but it is worth a shot. I think the thing to remember is that you can't really non-surgically reverse the damage, per se, but it can be managed in such a way that you are not in constant pain and on alot of medication. Good luck to you.

  17. #17
    Super Member mhunt1717's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by Opal Jane
    OMG I feel bad for you. I was diagnosed over a year ago with disc issues (can't remember the technical term). I have periodic numbness and tingling in my left leg, but the pain has gone away. The doctor said at some point I will need surgery. I also have arthritis in my left hip. Isn't it fun getting old?!
    HEY who is old??? I have only been 50 for 3 weeks! Yeah lots of arthritis in hip, but the discs are really bad! Dr wants me stay on pain meds, I chose NO...so it will be fun til they do the surgery...NOT...still plan on doing water walking daily and the stability ball work out...

    I had the surgery on two herniated discs. It is THE BEST thing I ever had medically! Instant relief from horrible pain... Watch those pain meds--they can be very dangerous. Best of luck to you!

  18. #18
    Super Member Carron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    desert area of California
    Posts
    2,267
    You poor girl, will keep you in my prayers for a quick solution to this problem.

  19. #19
    Super Member feline fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    8,776
    Good luck in what ever you decide to do. I had 3, two in lower back one in neck. Neck one caused shooting pain down arm like the kind you get when you hit your funny bone really hard. Lower back ones caused back pain and shooting pain in legs. I found relief with physical therepy also. What made a huge difference for me was treatment with the Tens unit, which is the electrical impulse stimulus to the problem areas, it tricks the brain into breaking the cycle of pain messages. I swear by the tens unit. I also see a chiropractor on a regular basis (once a month). I have been pain free for almost 7 months. He is bugging me to exercise to increase my core strength which will keep the problem from rearing its ugly head again in the future.

  20. #20
    okiepastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,500
    I am not supposed to be able to do any work, get out of bed, or even walk according to the MDs who see my MRI and xrays-----when they ask how I do it, I just say " I do not listen to MDs!"

    Bromelain, magnesium, chiropractor,therapy, and acupuncture...an exercise ball is really important to sit on.

    I cannot take pain meds. My body does not tolerate them.

  21. #21
    Super Member mommafank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Grew up in WV but retired in Between, GA
    Posts
    1,046
    Blog Entries
    1
    The pain in your hip is because the disc are impinging on the nerve that goes to that area of your body. And yes, lots of people have them and do not even know as they experience no symptoms. Weird, huh? They found that out when they were in the process of testing MRI as a diagnostic tool. Be careful about having surgery, do all the reading you can do because often there is no change or little change in symptoms. There are those who have excellent results but many do not.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    unfortunately my insurance is military based. the military will NOT recognize(nor pay for) acupuncture, chiropractor or homeopathic treatments! SO if I choose to do those, I not only have to pay for them myself, but if they do not work, my insurance can refuse payment for traditional treatment to fix things later! It is a fine catch-22 for sure! but when I meet the neuro guy I will do my best to put any surgery off for as long as possible!

    I might also add that I am a diabetic with a lapband..I eat very little, but it is ALL healthy..I take tons of vitamins and supplements and I work out every day!

  23. #23
    Kas
    Kas is offline
    Super Member Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    2,044
    I had one in my neck. Tried therapy for a year, not much help. So the surgeon wanted a new MRI before she would do the surgery. The new one showed not only the disc herniated on two sides, but bone spurs to boot. Surgery helped, but there are still other issues with my neck. At least it is better and my arm isn't numb anymore.

  24. #24
    Super Member mommafank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Grew up in WV but retired in Between, GA
    Posts
    1,046
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wishing you the best--no fun to be in pain. Hope to hear how it goes for you. Sometimes those disc sort of heal on their own good time, but think too long now for you to expect that. My hubby was lucky and his got better but he still has numbness in his leg and occasional pain. He is a very active man and I think that helps him survive without the surgery. His inital injury was about 12 years ago. He walks everyday, exercises doing stretches and weight lifts and never stops going all day long.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    I had one in my neck. Tried therapy for a year, not much help. So the surgeon wanted a new MRI before she would do the surgery. The new one showed not only the disc herniated on two sides, but bone spurs to boot. Surgery helped, but there are still other issues with my neck. At least it is better and my arm isn't numb anymore.
    yep on one of mine it says spurs!

    here is the report says
    There is narrowing & dehydration of L2-3 disc and a lesser extent of the L4-5 disc.

    AT L2-3 there is a circumferential disc bulge and broad anterior disc protrusion with anterior degenerative spurring of the veretbral endplates. There is a slight ventral flattening of the thecal sac. In conjunction with degenerative facet changes there is a minimal narrowing of the proximal neuroforamina bilaterally.

    At l3-4 no disc bulges are evident. There are mild degenerative facet changes. The lateral neuroforamina are fairly well maintained.

    At L4-5 there is circumferential disc bulge and broad left foraminal and far lateral disc protrusion. This causes ventral flattening of the thecal sac. In conjunction with the degenerative facet changes there is moderate left foraminal stenosis. There is a milk narrowing of the right neuroforamen.

    I don't understand any of that at all..so he showed me where in my back the damage is..I was shocked..as those areas are where I can NOT be touched at all...I discovered that about a month ago when my hubby wanted to give me a back rub..NOT...I jumped out of skin..was not painful really, but like a shock!

    I would love to see a chiro, have acupuncture, and water therapy!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.