Hexagon - Honu Tattoo

Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 AM

I have always been anti-tatoo for myself however over the last couple of years have been wanting one - I have no idea why but I do .. I have been considering getting a Honu turtle on my foot or ankle but those areas dont have a lot of padding so I may get one on my outter calf kind of above the boot line and below the knee if that makes sense.... I like the symbolism of the honu (symbol of longevity, peace, good luck, humility, long life and the spirit within) and I love swimming with them and I also like the hexagon because it symbolizes quilting and is one of the geometric shapes that occurs in nature (bees honeycomb) ... so the point of this post? What do you all think about a honu with a hexie shell tatoo? (just a little one) :-)
Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 AM

i like the meaning behind it. i say go for it just be sure thats what you want
Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Banned

I am biased I have 4 tats and I say go ahead, but that is just my oppinion, mine are all symbolic too. All dragons.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:50 AM

Go for it!

Look around for tattoos that you like. Make a couple of sketches and speak to a tattoo artist. Also, if you see a tattoo on someone that you like, ask who did their work. It is nice to see the work on the skin to decide if you like their style.

Another thing... Feet and ankles hurt a lot. Good luck!!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:54 AM

I know it is quite the style now to sport tattoos, but I have yet to see one on a lady that I like unless it is in an area that doesn't glare at me. I'm not being old fashion here, I see tiny ones on the shoulders or middle backs that I think are sort of cute, but anything bigger than a quarter makes me wonder ."WHY???"My x-DIL had a pretty butterfly on her ankle, tiny and then she decided to cover it with something larger. It is huge and just looks sort of tacky. I see beautiful young ladies in beautiful gowns, and then they turn around and you see a huge tattoo and it just spoils the image, for me anyway. My daughter always wanted a rose over her breast when she was young. Now she laughs about where it would be and how it would look now that she is older and sagging. LOL I think what bothers me most aabout them, it seems that for so many, once you have one, they can't seem to stop getting more and more. My GS x-girlfriend started with one on her shoulder, a very small and nice one, , and now she has them on her arms, legs, boobs, stomach, hips and back, and each time she seemed to go bigger and bigger. But, to each their own thing. The idea of one small one doesn't turn me off, but I hate seeing large ones and lots of them on ladies.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:57 AM

Make sure you go potty right before getting it if it's going to hurt. Personally I don't want a tatoo and don't believe in them but each to their own. I must admit that some are beautiful. Just remember that black ink has a tendency to expand or spread out over time, colored ink fades and has to be redone. It's a pretty permanent decision, just make sure it's really something that you're going to want for the rest of your life. And by all means talk to the artist first--interview several. Also, age, wrinkles, sagging hits us all eventually and each one of them will alter tatoos. A young friend of mine has one of those tats that I believe is called a "Tramp Stamp" ---the ones on the lower back---anyway it's a bunch of flowers with a banner with her kids names on each end of the banner. I told her that it looks nice now but when she's my age, the flowers have withered, sag has set in and the banners read Jooooorrrrrrdddaaaaan and Maaaaaccccccccyyyyy it just won't have the same effect. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

How about trying/wearing a temporary tattoo of that symbol for a few days - and then go from there?

or

Make a pendant with that symbol and wear it that way?

I like the symbolism that you are describing - but tattoos are just "so permanent" - and I have enough "natural" marks on my hide that I don't want to add any more.

What you do, is, of course, up to you.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 AM

Go for it. I have 2. Daisy chain on my left ankle and just above it a butterfly. I did the butterfly for my 50th birthday and the daily chain for my husbands 50th birthday. He has merlin on this left arm. I am thinking about a dragon. My son who is 45 does tatooing. He is really good at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 AM

I always think of the cartoon, where the tattoo artist is saying to the client, "You know, the guys who make the REAL money are the ones who take these things off..."
Old 12-07-2010, 10:42 AM

I have a lizard on my rt calf. I would love a Luna Moth on the back of my ne k but am to cheap.