Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HGTV Show w/Joanna and Chip Gaines >

HGTV Show w/Joanna and Chip Gaines

HGTV Show w/Joanna and Chip Gaines

Old 08-27-2016, 03:07 PM
Suz

Default HGTV Show w/Joanna and Chip Gaines

I really like their show and remarked to friends that Waco, TX is one place I'd like to visit owing to scenes shown on this program. These recent visitors stated that some folks who contract with the Gaineses for a residence, turn around and make them into a "Bed and Breakfast".

Unfortunately, I am unable to watch TV much nor do I subscribe to HGTV Mag as I am the caregive to my DH who has had a stroke and obviously he is my primary concern. (Hardly have time to quilt.) However, I was saddened by this info.

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 08-27-2016, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

Why would you be saddened by that? A B&B can still be a residence, and it gives other people a chance to enjoy the town. I doubt that the Gaines family is impacted at all. I enjoy watching that show too, though I haven't seen it in quite a while.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

I like the show, they do great work.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

There was an article that the show and hosts were upset that after the buyers had it for a year they turned it into an airbnb and mentioned the Gaineses without asking their permission to use the Gaineses name in marketing like this is the house that Chip and Joanna renovated. The Gaineses are rewriting the contracts/paperwork for any future homes.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:05 AM

Seems to me you can use your home as you please as long as you're not breaking any laws. I like the work this couple does, but I think they're being a bit absurd. It seems to me they're getting some free advertising.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
Seems to me you can use your home as you please as long as you're not breaking any laws. I like the work this couple does, but I think they're being a bit absurd. It seems to me they're getting some free advertising.
It seems to me that if homeowners are capitalizing on Chip and JoAnna's work that they should give a cut of the increased $$ to the Gaines's. Also, Chip and Jo have their own B&B in Waco. Why should people get away with using Chip & Jo's names to compete with them?
Old 08-28-2016, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

A friend that lives in Waco says she wonders where the people find work in Waco to buy and have the homes renovated into show places. The Gaines's design isn't for the average budget. She said the family is just like what you see on tv. Very religious and super generous. They are a lovely family and deserve all the recognition for their work.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:57 AM

One thing others can't copy is the Gaines authenticity. Love to see the way they banter back and forth with each other and the way they include their children in everything they do.

Yes, it is true, once someone pays for their home they can use it anyway they choose. It's just sad that Chip and Joanna do everything they can up to and including moving fireplaces (!) and adding extras so as to completely please those purchasing the homes to then have them turn around and cut into their business. They have taken a town that was deterorating and one by one are breathing life back into it. Just makes you wonder how many of those who have turned their homes into B/B's may have had that as their ultimate plan in the beginning.

It's hard to imagine the magnitude of what they are doing but if you have ever taken a ride in the country and seen all the hundreds of little towns, once thriving,and now left with just a few houses, no grocery stores, no service stations, no shops...just tired little houses and you will have some idea of how daunting the task of bringing them back to life really is. I'd like to see it happen all over.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

i also read that they furniture they have is owened by the Gainses and if they want it they have to pay. Also, these houses are picked out before the show begins. They have to purchase it and apply to the shows producers to see if they cn be on the show. a big thing about it on you tube, about how they pick the house.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I agree. These people are renting out the houses that were suppose to be their homes thru airBNB and it is a shame that they did it for profiting. Fixer Upper is one of my favorite shows. They make such a cute couple and their kids are so well behaved.