Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hoarders marathon today on A&E >

Hoarders marathon today on A&E

Hoarders marathon today on A&E

Old 09-09-2010, 01:20 PM

I have a "friend" and her house is like this. I have tried to clean and help and in a week it is back like this. Trash everywhere too. I don't go over there any more. TOo nasty. She needs help and her hubby just lays around with her. They are so broke and keeping buying mail order. SO sad. Now my fabric room could be on there so I am goign in to clean it while I watch the series. LOL
Old 09-09-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
I watched that show last week! There was a woman on there who had BOLTS of fabric & batting, I reached my arms out, thinking "I want to help you clean your house, give me the fabric & batting, I will give it a good home!". That was about the time dh told me I have issues, lol.
Good thing I didn't see that show. I have watched some of them but some are too sad. It really is a brain-wiring issue and you can tell they really struggle.

piney
Old 09-09-2010, 07:42 PM

They followed them with ANimal hoarders and I cried right along with the owners when the animals were taken. One lady had over 200 cats and was allowed to keep 85!!!!! Another had 42 dogs and would not let them go outside because she was afraid for them. Oh ickkkkk. SO sad. It is still on. I cannot judge them because I love animals too, but only take care of what I can . So sad.....
Old 09-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

I have a husband who is inclined to "save" things....since we have been married I have realised I am beginning to do the same. I was never a minimalist...but I do like order and cleanliness and too much stuff just makes housekeeping more time consuming, therefore cutting into quilting time! So gradually and kindly I am beginning a purge. Last week, I encouraged him to go through some of his clothes and yesterday I went through my wardrobe with a brutal eye. I immediately bagged the clothes, put them in the car and deposited all 7 bags straight into a charity collection bin. My step-mother is a hoarder (fortunately not of rubbish/waste) and I know what a lot of heartache it causes not only the partners and family, but also themselves.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:43 AM

I have watched Hoarders on occasion...my husband's aunt definitely had that problem. She lived alone and her apartment was piled high with junk, only a trail leading through it. She developed some severe mental problems and now lives in the "lock-down" unit at a nursing home. My MIL and another one of her sisters had to clean out her apartment and it took them about a week's worth of solid work! So sad... :cry:
Old 09-10-2010, 08:44 AM

I watched that, I was really, really sad to see that people live like that. I know it's a sickness, nothing else can explain it.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:45 AM

I don't think I could watch the show again. On the show that I saw they shoveled 8,000 pounds of garbage out of a woman's home, they found 2 dead cats and her false teeth under some of it and who knows what other disgusting stuff. Yuck.... Place most have smelt wonderful....May in Jersey
Old 09-10-2010, 12:17 PM

As a home health nurse I have been in several homes that the patients were hoarders.I didn't know what it was until the show came on but I can tell you it permeates every aspect of there life and makes it hard as h*** to provide them with medical care in there homes.They are always my last stop of the day so I can go home and shower.