Hoarding

Old 07-20-2010, 08:02 PM

Is there help for hoarders? Discovered a senior lady recently, living alone, no family around, living in terrible conditions. Wondering if there is anything I can do that would be helpful. She has already had help cleaning up but goes back to it. Then there's the pet...any info appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 PM

hoarding is a compulsion, and frequently a result of some unmet need (ask me how much counseling I've been to!). Unless you can address the basic need, there is not much you can do to see change in someone else. For seniors, it's often a fear of not having enough later...thanks for caring and trying.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 PM

Can you just be her friend and offer to help out occasionally?

You might also check with your local churches. Many of them have special ministries for senior adults, shut-ins, etc.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Power Poster

I sent you a pm.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

All I have seen is on TV and they say not only do they need help cleaning but therapy to get to the root of the problem. that may be why she keeps returning to the behavior. Just try to be a friend. Most of the time they just isolate themselves. THANK YOU for caring
Old 07-20-2010, 08:37 PM

If you think she is in danger of any kind, or the pet is in danger you should seriously consider requesting, what they call in my area, a "Welfare Check". The sheriff sends out a deputy to assess the situation and offers help from the city, county or state. I am concerned that if you do nothing and something happens to her, you will have difficulty dealing with it. It cannot hurt, it will be anonymous and you can have a clear conscience. In the mean time, she needs a friend.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Kas

Clutterers Anonymous or Clutterness (clutter-recovery.com) are two organizations like AA where a clutterer or hoarder can get help. I just read a book called "Stop Clutter from Stealing Your Life" written by a recovering clutterer. He helps you see it from the perspective of the person doing the cluttering. I have the tendancies, but not doing it full force like my mom. She is working on it though.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:03 AM

It is nice you care and others seem to have much practical advice.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:47 AM

If you want to help and she'll allow you, then go for it.
I believe it'll be a lifetime commitment though on your part.

I agree with GrammaNan that if the woman - the dog - or even the house - is in any type of 'danger' you should get in touch with some authority and have the situation checked out.

Just recently on the news it took police and firemen hours to reach a woman trapped in her own home. They had to enter through the roof.
http://www.wgntv.com/wgntv-skokie-ho...ve-body-july20,0,5441041.story

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
If you think she is in danger of any kind, or the pet is in danger you should seriously consider requesting, what they call in my area, a "Welfare Check". The sheriff sends out a deputy to assess the situation and offers help from the city, county or state. I am concerned that if you do nothing and something happens to her, you will have difficulty dealing with it. It cannot hurt, it will be anonymous and you can have a clear conscience. In the mean time, she needs a friend.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:07 AM

I am helping my mom right now with the same problems. Right now we are sorting papers upon papers. I have set up a filing system in a new file cabinet for her so she can find stuff. Lots of recycling, she feels good about the recycling and we shred the confidential papers. My mom takes stuff from other people, mostly clothes, I have gotten her to do donations to worthy causes. Hoarders keep stuff because they think these things are useful to someone, so I am making sure this stuff gets donated. Even the stuff that is no good and needs to be trashed, I tell mom I am donating it. She feels better about getting rid of it, if it is being used by someone. Hope this helps. Lace