Home Ec Projects

Old 11-20-2014, 03:37 AM
Power Poster

I've been home schooling since 1982. By the time my youngest was done my older ones were sending me DGKs. So I get to do fun things now days homeschooling the DGKs. I was thinking about having the little ones make some hand warmers. They would make some cool gifts. If you have older kids and wanted to teach them production sewing something like that would be an easy and fun project. The hand warmers could have applique or they could be quilted. They could be sewn in shapes or just be very simple first time projects - imagination... project for all skill levels.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

I found some super hero hand warmers for boys to try to make:
http://www.boyohboyohboycrafts.com/2...e-their_6.html
Old 11-20-2014, 04:09 AM

I noticed most of your projects are Christmas related. A spring or summer pillow case would be good. I had my DGD#1 make a pillow last summer with her name on it. She picked out all the fabric, fused fabric to interfacing, printed her name on it, cut it out with pinking shears, pinned it to front of pillow. Then I marked dots on the fabric which she used as guide to stitch large quilt stitches with embroidery thread to pillow top. She then sewed the pillow together, turned, and stuffed. Last she whipped stitched closing. She was almost 5. We did this over a weeks time, about 1hour a day. I even let her iron by putting one arm behind her. Now she is asking what our next project is and wants to see my projects.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Here is another project. My DGD did one for 4-H and went to the state fair with it. The judge loved it because so many techniques were used to make it and yet it is pretty simple. It is a big fat quarter bag suitable for overnighters etc:
http://www.favequilts.com/Bags-Purse...rom-Martingale
Old 11-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Stuffed toys

How to take measurements for selecting a pattern - and how to do simple alterations - like hemming a garment.

I would avoid trying to make closely fitted garments and stay with things like pj bottoms, bathrobes, etc.

Back packs

I still think pillowcases are a good first project. The student has something usable.

Even with a pillowcase, different seam finished would be used - plain (unfinised), pinked edge , serged, French semed, etc,

You could show how these different finishes hold up with repeated washings.

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-20-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:05 AM

She could make an "Alzheimer" quilt. One with a zipper block; a block with a tie; one with a big button and button hole; They call them figit quilts. It apparently helps them to feel calmer.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:11 AM

I know that at our local shop they have a summer sewing classes for kids, PJ bottoms and pillow cases are always a big hit and I love the idea of a zippered bag since zippers are one of the things that a lot of people shy away from
Old 11-20-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I found some super hero hand warmers for boys to try to make:
http://www.boyohboyohboycrafts.com/2...e-their_6.html
These look like a fun project even for my walking buddies, thanks for the link.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Here is another project. My DGD did one for 4-H and went to the state fair with it. The judge loved it because so many techniques were used to make it and yet it is pretty simple. It is a big fat quarter bag suitable for overnighters etc:
http://www.favequilts.com/Bags-Purse...rom-Martingale
Another fun link, thanks!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:11 PM

How to patch, how to repair seams, hems,& buttons. Basic sewing skills to be independent.