home exchanges

Old 06-25-2016, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

Default home exchanges

I would like to travel and am considering doing a home exchange. I've signed up for one of the home exchange sites online, but haven't actually listed my home yet. I was wondering if any of you have experience with this? Did it go well? What countries did you visit?
Old 06-25-2016, 05:50 PM

how long to you plan to be gone?
Old 06-25-2016, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

If going overseas I'd like to stay at least a month, maybe longer. If in the US or Canada perhaps a shorter time. I've traveled for a month at a time in the past, and was so busy driving here and there that I felt I didn't see anything in depth. I'd like to experience really living in different places, not just driving through and quickly seeing the sights.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:25 PM

I have not listed our home, but stayed in a condo in Berlin for 2 weeks and it was wonderful. Of course, the best part was not having to eat in restaurants the entire time.

My daughters and I rented a 2 bedroom condo in San Francisco for a week. The owner lived upstairs - he was a wonderful help for the neighbor hood place to shop. And the view was spectacular. Definitely a money saving way to travel.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 06-25-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:16 AM

Check into airb&b. I know several people who have used it repeatedly overseas.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:57 AM

On our traveling adventures, we use VRBO. Have never had problems, so far.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:50 AM

We stayed in an Airbnb in New York for three days last month. We had the whole house, three stories, and beautiful swimming pool.
My step daughter rents her house in Chicago through Airbnb. Someone else rents the downstairs apartment full time, and she lives in the second and third floors, which she rents out. She can sleep 14 people there, and is in a very good location. If a team needs to be in Chicago, they can all stay at one house. She gets a room at another bnb, or goes on vacation, or comes to visit us, etc. while others are in her house.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:10 AM

This is very interesting...I have not heard of this before...I know of b&b, not whole house renting....in my mind that means no personal "things" ......... Sort of like living in a hotel room....I mean if one is renting out their own home for lengths of time......periodically......
Old 06-26-2016, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Thanks to all of you for the responses. The difference between home exchange and airbnb/VRBO is that there is no money involved in home exchange. Someone moves into my house for an agreed upon time, and I move into theirs. We may agree on letting the other use our car as well as the home, subject to insurance being worked out. It brings up the possibility for extended travel without breaking the bank.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:22 AM

maybe not what you are looking for, but another alternative for low cost accommodations is Servas.

http://www.servas.org/

You stay with a host family and participate in their culture. And in turn you can host people who come to your area to visit.

Definitely NOT a "lodging only" organization, their main goal is to connect people and build friendship.