Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Honesty isn't in the manual >

Honesty isn't in the manual

Honesty isn't in the manual

Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 AM

There was $60 sitting in a bank machine one early morning when I went in to use it. At first, I thought "gee, I can't use the machine, the last person isn't finished", and I went outside to look for that person but the area was deserted. So, I guiltily took the money and set in on the side while I did my business but still no one had come back. I didn't think leaving it there was a good idea, so I kept it and when the bank opened, took it in and tried to turn it in. They didn't want it, wouldn't even think of looking at the security tape to see who had used the machine before me, but did take my name and number in case someone came in. I held that money separately for a month and still feel sorry for whoever didn't claim it.

As for honesty - how many of you have seen that Ikea ad where the woman is running crazily from the store yelling "start the car, start the car!" because she thinks they undercharged her? Isn't that exactly what we're talking about?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 AM

This happened to my husband and me once at a store. We purchased several items and when we got home, we realized that they didn't charge us for an expensive piece of software. We called the store because we lived about thirty miles away on an island. We asked if we could pay for it over the phone. They said we would have to bring the item back in and pay for it in person. We asked if they would compensate us (with a discount) for our time and gas to come back to pay for it since we did not need to go off island again for quite awhile. (It was their clerk's error, not ours.) They said they could not, but that they expected us to pay for it. My husband, who was getting ready to deploy for three months, told them he would come back and pay for it when he got back from his deployment. Three and a half months later, we drove back to the store and the clerks just looked at us funny and said not to worry about it because they didn't have it in their system anymore. Aargh! We tried.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:03 AM

Thank you being honest.
I don't use 'self check out'. I think this machine has replaced a real person. A person that no longer has a job and can provide income for their family.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
Originally Posted by fabric-holic
Originally Posted by marsye
If no one claims it????? Who could claim it????
They said maybe a person who used that particular self check out before me had not taken their $20 that they asked for.
Actually I just got a phone call about an hour after I posted this story, saying someone had come in today and said they didn't get their $20. So they gave them the $20 I'd given back.
Now I don't want to be suspicious but he could have overheard the goings-on while I was at the Service Desk (there were several people there....customers and employees) and just decided to come back and say it was him. How can they prove it? Did he bring his reciept? How does that prove it didn't get his $20 yesterday and just came back for this $20?
Anyway, my bank won't update my Sat. activity till Mon. morning so I'll check. If it's down $60 from the grocery they told me to bring a copy of my statement and they'll give me $20. So I'm not worried. I did the right thing and that's all that matters to me. If someone falsely said the $20 was theirs they'll have to answer for it someday. Not me.
I bet it was somebody from the quilt board!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Marsye, it wasn't me. I didn't do it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :lol:
Old 06-06-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Yup- I believe in Karma too :D You are the person I would love to have find something I lost.
HUGS
My thoughts Exactly!
Old 06-06-2010, 02:06 PM

I would have check my account before I gave it to the store. What will you do if your account was charged $60 in stead of 40 now you will have to try and get it back from the store.
I have had this happen to me. The ATM took back my money before i could grab it.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:10 PM

One night after work I wnt to the night deposit and there in the machine was another business bag. I went and and drop in on down in and then did my drop. I called the store the next morning to let them know what had happen. So that they could tak to the perdon that didn't finish the drop
Old 06-07-2010, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewgull
Thank you being honest.
I don't use 'self check out'. I think this machine has replaced a real person. A person that no longer has a job and can provide income for their family.
My oldest son pointed that out to me and I haven't used one since.
I learn from my kids a lot :D
Old 06-07-2010, 07:33 AM

how about an ATM which shows you your money then sucks it back in before you can touch it???.....gotta watch those things.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 AM

Glad to hear you did the right thing, Karen. What an incredible story, though. It's a shame that honesty has to be sometimes frustrating.