horrible weekend for tv

Old 10-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Dee

Couldn't watch anything at all-no power. We got hammered on Sat. with snow.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:02 PM

Not crazy about the Halloween movies/shows. I watched PBR bull riding this afternoon. The Brazilians stole the show, they're absolutely fantastic riders.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:10 PM

I watched 49er football and so happy they won! And I love NCIS!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
It's sad that Halloween has moved so far from the origins of the festival in Ireland and Scotland. Yes it has always involved the tension between our world and whatever spirits there may be in another world, but it was never all about evil, and certainly not about zombies etc. It was a time when people believed communication with the spirits was possible, but that did not have to be horrible. There was also a lot of fortune telling and divination at that time of year and predictions for the year ahead, as people marked the end of the productive year. Children received gifts of nuts and apples to lessen the anxiety about the lean winter days to come.

I like the genuine Halloween traditions but I cannot abide the ghoulish nonsense (and the sugar laden junk food) that dominate these days.
Yours is a new version of Halloween to me. I had heard that WWAAAAAAYY back( druid times) they believed spirits both good and evil would roam the earth for one night each year. In order to keep the evil spirits from doing harm they dressed up (many times as scary as they could) to confuse and scare away the evil spirits. Goodies were handed out to appease any evil spirits that might have come to their doors. Vampires and zombies have been included for as long as I remember. It really hasn't changed that much in how people celebrate it. I don't think people today celebrate for the same reason as they did centuries and centuries ago but we still carry on for the fun.

Today I think candy is just easy and cheaper to hand out than lots of other things. Parents can't trust home made items anymore because of all the bad people out there. Treats change with the times. My parents mentioned getting caramel apples, popcorn balls, homemade cupcakes, and full sized candy bars. My parents also said though that they didn't have to worry about razor blades, needles and glass in these things either. You should feel free to hand out nuts or apples if you wish. Some people when my boys were small handed out pencils, plastic Halloween type rings and fake spiders along with the candy.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:00 AM

I get my fix of "Coraline" and that's about all I want. :) Nightmare Before Christmas (two holidays for the price of one!) and Coraline.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:28 AM

Try living in a country that plays nothing else but sport (especially football) EVERY weekend...
DVDs are a must!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:36 AM

I agree - nothing much to watch. We watched a DVD movie Saturday evening and last night we watched "While You Were Sleeping." My DH said he hopes all the horror stuff is off once Halloween is over. Makes me wonder why all programming is horror based - don't the programmers realize there is a large population who don't want to watch this stuff?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
Ugh. One of the reasons Halloween isn't my favorite holiday. Nothing but horror movies, dumb haunted house/ghost tv shows, and morbid documentaries about dead bodies.

How many of you like watching Halloween-themed tv? Or are you in my camp and ready to turn on an NCIS marathon? Or maybe I Love Lucy?
I totally agree ! I've never been into Halloween themed movies anyway and this weekend was surrounded by them....I did watch Pacific Heights.....that is about as creepy as it gets with me . ALSO Love NCIS......I like to watch Golden Girls marathons.....even though I've seen them before i still LOL !
Old 10-31-2011, 04:10 AM

Criminal Minds Marathon...every Sunday! I am so there!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:13 AM

Call me weird... but I think NCIS is so realistic that it is far scarier than the "horror" shows.

WHen my kids' father got sick I stopped watching soap operas. (Had enough drama in my life without that stuff). As he got sicker I struck off the list all the hospital shows and forensic shows. When he died I gave up on Survivor and the Greatest Race type reality shows... they call that real life? And since then (8 years now) I have stuck to 1/2 hr comedies and game shows. As my children have healed it has been easier to watch TV again, but I really don't miss that stuff. It just hurt my mind. (Had a student in school who used that expression whenever I asked him to try and do his work... It just hurts my mind.