Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Horses.  Wait, maybe yaks?  Winter jammies have arrived! >

Horses. Wait, maybe yaks? Winter jammies have arrived!

Horses. Wait, maybe yaks? Winter jammies have arrived!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:29 PM

Wolf teeth are small teeth that come in in some horses--not all. They don't need to be removed unless the horse is going to wear a bit...which I was planning on doing with Rosie... just to ground drive--but I'll wait until the vet can get them out. :wink:
Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Those hoofers are too cute for words. Just wanna cuddle and snuggle them all.

We just found out that old Merle is a Paso with papers. He is a little camera shy at the moment because he has a very bad hair cut. (the horse equivalent of a bowl cut). It is taking forever to grow out.

He sure has perked up since he came to live with us. When Pat is in the field, Merle follows him like a big puppy. When I come home from work, he comes running to the fence and he whinnies his hello. What a change from the downtrodden and depressed hangdog earlier in the summer.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:56 PM

they're surely going to need whatever hair they get. it already looks chilly and overcast where you are. i know that upstate new york weather gets ferocious. do they get blankets/coats later on? do they still go out every day?
Old 10-23-2009, 02:58 PM

butterfly--they don't need blankets with the coats they grow. Blankets goof up the hair growth---inhibiting thick growth. I have blankets, but they're only on hand if someone is ill and shivering.

They'll go out most days. The only time they stay in are in winds over 40 mph, snow storms, heavy downpours, lightning, ice and if it's incredibly muddy. I'd say they spend the day in stalls about 5-7 days a year. There are run-in sheds in every pasture, so it that will protect them, they'd rather be out. They are out at 5:45 AM Mon-Fri and I tuck them in about 7:30 now... but earlier as it gets darker. Tonight they went in stalls at 5:00 because it rained today and it's in the 40s, so I wanted them to get warmed up and get some hay in their bellies--the best way to get them warm. The digestion process generates heat. :wink:
Old 10-23-2009, 03:12 PM

They are all so beautiful, but that Mazie is just special. I can tell they are all very much loved. You have a big heart, Karla.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Thank you so much for the pictures. I always get excited when I see that you have posted more pictures of the kids. They are so adorable!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:03 AM

I looked so forward to your updates and pictures. I have 3 full size horses, but have always had a special place in my heart for the little ones and have always wanted some.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:02 PM

madquilter--I'd love to see Merle!! :D :D :D
Old 10-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Banned

Karla, your babies jammies are too cute! I can see that you've taught Tucker how to spike his hair without gel! LOL

Wow, Mad, a paso!? They are wonderful big horses. You've lucked out!! Good for you for giving a needy baby a good loving home!!