Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hot glue - does it expire?

Hot glue - does it expire?

Maybe not the best place to ask, because we use mostly school glue, but the other day I got out my hot glue gun for a repair on a Christmas wreath, and it seemed to take a forever for it to heat up -- not a big deal, it did, the glue was melting but then it didn't seem to hold anything. I did decide my gun was just too old now - it must be at least 20 years old, which means the glue is too. There seems to be a lot of it (some is in a House of Fabrics bag to give you a clue how old it is). But my DH thinks I should give it to a thrift store, I believe it belongs in the trash. What would you do?

We'll if it didn't work for you, it probably won't for someone who buys it at the thrift store. Would you like to be the one who buys it?

Blog Entries
    hmmm, i think I still have some of that.

Power Poster
    I still use my glue gun and old glue sticks occasionally. The glue sticks fine but check to see if they are high or low heat sticks. Different heat guns for different types of glue.

Blog Entries
    the gun might not have heated up enough. hot glue is really just a plastic that's been melted at a high enough temp to melt and cool fast. Try with a new gun first.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Very good point Lynnie, I was so impatient it probably didn't get warm enough.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Mine is over 5 years old and i recently used it with no problem.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Mine is at least 6 years old and probably older. I used it just before Xmas.....had no problems.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

I scoop up all the hot glue sticks i can find at garage sales and estate sales. Some of them are very old and I
    haven't had any problems with them.

I use my ancient hot glue gun/sticks occasionally with no issues but Tartan is correct...there are high and low temp sticks as well as guns. Just make sure they match. Unfortunately I don't think the sticks or the guns are specifically marked as being either beyond the initial packaging.

I haven't used mine in years. I would think that mostly likely if there is a problem, it is with the glue gun. They are cheaply made.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I have several glue guns and the oldest one takes longer to get hot enough to melt. But when it's hot, it is really hot!

Got one when my boys were very small, they're nearing 40 now. Glue and gun still work fine, and I'm still on the old glue. As said maybe wrong glue, or just not hot enough.
    Laurie

As a crafter/quilter my glue sticks never get to hang around that long. I buy in large quantity and use them up within a year.

Could be your gun that isn't working correctly. My glue is at least 30 years old, and still works great, as does my gun. I use it very seldom, but am happy that it works when I want it to.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Interesting question.....I never thought about it as I seldom use my gun or glue, both of which are probably at least 30 years old and they haven't failed me yet.......

I don't think hot glue expires. You do have to let the gun heat up and use the right type glue in it. The older the gun the longer it could take to heat because of age. I have had my gun for about 15 years and my glue for about 10 years. I don't use very often anymore, but it still works. It just take a little longer to heat up and melt the glue. If you are having a problem with yours replace your gun.
    Hello my name is Delilah.
    I like to quilt, Sew, garden and cook.
    I use a vintage Kenmore 15813450 8 stitch sewing machine.
    I call her "Little Girl".

Thank you everyone - I have thrown out the gun, will need a trip to Michael's and decide if I want to replace it or just get rid of the glue.