Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
House plants, do you have any? >

House plants, do you have any?

House plants, do you have any?

Old 09-01-2016, 03:21 AM

No house plants here, as I don't have anywhere to put one that Indy (cat) can either climb or jump to.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:31 AM

Violets, orchid, patho, 1 very large Christmas cactus. Got rid of a lot this summer. Got out of hand and needed to declutter.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:40 AM

I have many houseplants -- spider plants, jade, snake plants, African violets, lucky bamboo, etc. My snake plants keep giving me little ones, & the spider plants keep producing young ones as well. At work I have cacti, succulents, a poinsettia I was given at Christmas 2010 (never had one until then) & was told to throw it away after Christmas (I didn't), Gerbera daisy (given to me last summer), shamrock (given to me for St. Patrick's Day several years ago), & I think one or 2 more. I love my houseplants!
Old 09-01-2016, 03:41 AM

Oh, yes, many (different colors) of Christmas cacti at home & at work, plus an Easter cactus at work.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:46 AM

Hoya, 2 Ponytail Palms, Aloe, Orchids, African Violets, Christmas and Easter Cactus, Rabbit Foot Fern. Planning a Fairy Garden.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:04 AM

Oh yes.... I have Aloe, Christmas Cacti, Spider, Angel Wing, and a couple others that the names escape me right now. I love my plants..
Old 09-01-2016, 05:05 AM

Can't live without my house plants. Christmas cactus, snake plants must be my favorites as I have more of them than anything else, both very easy to grow. Will bring in a begonia, and a couple of geraniums before the first frost. Have 4 orange trees grown from the seeds of cuties and a pot full of grapefruit tree babies also grown from seeds that have to be repotted before winter. Have about 30 pots of flowers outside, porch, patio,hanging baskets, besides the flower garden, but the pots I have to leave until frost gets them or I would be looking for places to put them too. They were lots of work this summer as it has been extremely dry, but worth it as they all looks so beautiful out there blooming. Going to miss all that color out there this winter.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
I don't have any house plants. I've tried & tried over the years but they all seem to die. Maybe it's because I don't water on a consistent basis. I would love to have a pretty Christmas cactus because those are one of my favorites but haven't tried one yet. Last year I told myself that if Walmart had any for sell I was going to buy one & try it. Well, Walmart did not sell them last year! I took it as a sign that it was not my year to try.
My Christmas cactus is about 35 yrs. old. They don't mind being neglected. Cactus and succulents are the only plants that can tolerate the hot sun on my kitchen bay windowsill.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:02 AM

I have some of the same plants you mentioned. I put my lemon tree, Jade tree, aloe and spider plant outside during the summer, then bring them in after putting them into the basement bathroom with a bug bomb to rid them of any bugs and/or eggs left by the bugs. I'll do this a couple times before I put them back in the bay window for the winter.

My Jade and Aloe both gave me babies so I went ahead and split them during the summer plus put them all into new pots with new dirt. I notice my Aloe is shooting off more babies. Boy what they'll do when I'm not looking....... The Jade babies came from leaves that dropped off and rooted. My sister got a Jade from me when a whole branch fell off or was knocked off. Her Jade is doing quite well the last I saw it.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:14 AM

I have had a variety over the years,but gave up on them after my kitty decided to nibble the leaves of the marijuana plant I was starting( it's legal in Oregon,ya know. )They are pretty plants. " Ralph" was quite relaxed for a few hours...but none the worse for wear.