Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Housework Tips & Tricks (Post yours for us to enjoy) >
  • Housework Tips & Tricks (Post yours for us to enjoy)

• Housework Tips & Tricks (Post yours for us to enjoy)

Old 09-19-2010, 04:53 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by craftybear
    You know we all have housework to do. It is hard trying to keep up with the housework and find time for quilting, sewing and our other crafts.

I thought we should start a thread to post our tips and tricks for housework.
    I find you just need to get up and DO IT!! Not take long if you just do it well then a little each day before you start other things..get it done and out of the way ..take pride in your home and you will enjoy everything else...and believe it or not you will still have plenty of time to sew, be with friends, shop, time with family etc...lol just don't spend much time here on the boards lol
    Old 09-19-2010, 09:21 AM

Need to dust the rungs of your chairs? I just put on a pair of old white socks and run my feet over the bottoms of the chairs. It goes quickly and works just great. No bending either.
    Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 AM

Here is a recipe for what I think is the best glass cleaner ever . Also works great on fridge and/or other shiny surfaces. I use it even on woodwork. You will need : a one gal jug, in it mix 1 pint rubbing alcohol, 1/2 cup household ammonia, 1 teas dish liquid and enough water to fill the jug. A few drops of blue or green food coloring is a good safety measure so no one will mistake it for water. My father always told me to use crumpled newspaper if I wanted my windows to sparkle. Sure enough!! Good idea to use rubber gloves though as the newsprint will really get your hands dirty. Funny it cleans one thing and soils another. Ha Ha Ha
    Old 09-19-2010, 11:40 AM

To keep your shower glass clean, use car windscreen washer neat.
    Old 09-19-2010, 02:15 PM

We also live on a dirt road, with farm fields all around us, so dusting is a thankless task. :( Plus, we are renovating floors, so we are working on that premise of clean enough to be healthy, and messy enough to be lived in.

Patti
    Old 09-19-2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by mamapeggy11
    Fill the kitchen sink with hot water and pine-sol --house smell clean !!! LOL
    mamapeggy that's the best idea yet ,I can do that LOL
    Old 09-19-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SherryLea
    I just got done doing a deep cleaning on my house because we had hardwood floors put down I LOVE it I am going to get rid of all the carpet in my house have 2 quest berooms with carpet and I am looking to put tile in them.
    I did find a cleaning foam call scrubbing bubbles extended
    and it is great if you do your tub,shower and sinks with it it keeps them clean for 4 to 5 days first time something they advertised really worked.
    I ripped up all my carpet and put down faux wood. I love it. If something spill, no problem, if one of the fur babies has an accident, no problem, if they track in mud, no problem. See where this is going? I will never have carpet again...it has got to be the fithiest thing in your house. I do have area rugs to soften and warm the rooms. I wanted to try that scrubbing bubbles stuff, but I thought it was probably a rip off. Good to know it actually works. I will have to try it.
    Old 09-19-2010, 03:32 PM

I use white vinegar and water for my floors- hardwood and tile. Vacumming- I just got THE BEST vacuum ever made- my gs, Zack. He has this fascination for the central vacuum. I take one piece out to make it his size and let him go! He was here for a week end and vacuumed 4 times. We had to hide it from him. He even vacuums the couches. He also takes Pledge wipes and dusts. Right now he is walking around with a kitchen dishrag, washing the kitchen table and the coffee table.

He tells me when the washer and dryer buzzers go off and helps fold and switch loads.

Cheap labor too- give him dinner and his favorite movie and some popcorn and its great.

Seriously- I saved the vacuuming for him today. :)

I also have a way to deal with my "control" issue of wanting everything super clean and living with those who do not share that level of clean- the guest room is spotless. I go in there and just gaze at it's neatness and I feel so in control. It relaxes me.
    Old 09-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Spent 4 1/2 hours this morning making a dog shaped birthday cake for my 6 year old DGD. Loaded the dishwasher with what would fit before I left for the party. Now I am home and have the rest of the mess to clean up. My trick; deal with it in the morning when I am rested. Hate to look at the mess in the morning but my back won't take any more tonight. I love everyones tricks with sprays and such but with my allergies I can't use Pine-Sol or any other sprays, so I use a lot of those wipes. I know they aren't cheap but they work for me. And I can't live without my Swiffer Wet-Jet floor cleaner; great for all the dogs messes.
    Old 09-19-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by eimay
    Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Originally Posted by craftybear
    You know we all have housework to do. It is hard trying to keep up with the housework and find time for quilting, sewing and our other crafts.

I thought we should start a thread to post our tips and tricks for housework.
    Tie rags to the dog's feet and tail. Voila dusting done.
    That's great if you have a St. Bernard or Mastiff. I have 2 shi-tzus. It would take them forever.
    LOL what a picture that would be!