How to Catch a Wild Cat?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:15 PM

We where able to catch one with BBQ chicken in the live trap, they love the smell. after you can call animal control to the local SPCA. Good luck
Old 06-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Try putting a can of tuna in the trap. We caught a feral like that, took him to the vet and had him fixed. Then he disappeared! Ungrateful critter. LOL
Old 06-18-2010, 02:45 AM

Trapping wild cats is no picnic. As Cabinqltr said, it can be extremely dangerous. Be very careful. Unlike house pets, this cat is more apt to be carrying diseases. Even if you can catch him/her in a trap with sardines, it will probably reach through the cage to attack so wear something very protective or use a long hooked bar to carry the cage. Or, if you can get it trapped call AC and tell them that you have a wild cat in a trap and need them to pick it up.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
We will try the milk idea. We wanted to do the 9mm idea, but my luck on of my neighbors will call the police!
Sorry, can't let this one slip by. Apologies to all but please don't joke about shooting a bothersome cat. All I can picture is a wounded animal, in pain, wandering around. End of rant.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cabinqltr
We had a stray that came around last year, ole softy Granny fed it and it became friendly, one day when I fed it and was petting it as usual, when it attacked my hand and bit my wrist. I had to shake him off. I came in and washed and peroxided it. In 2 hours it started to swell and hurt in 5 hours red marks up passed my elbow. Trip to ER, Large bag of IV antibiotics, 8 shots (including rabies) and after 3 hours allowed to go home. 4 more trips for the series of rabies shots within the next month. Later I got a copy of the bill. Just a few dollars off $8,000. Needless to day, no more cat friendships for me. Please be careful, it is not fun.
Yikes. That is scary.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
We will try the milk idea. We wanted to do the 9mm idea, but my luck on of my neighbors will call the police!
Sorry, can't let this one slip by. Apologies to all but please don't joke about shooting a bothersome cat. All I can picture is a wounded animal, in pain, wandering around. End of rant.
I would think a 9mm would definitely finish the job and not wound the animal.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

My late husband also used tuna and it worked perfectly.

I wish people would not dump their cats also. I have a white one now that I did start to feed because it was soooo skinny I didn't want it to die in my backyard. It has begun to chubby up and I see that it is hunting mice and birds which is fine with me. Last winter I had a terrible mouse problem and the more help I get with mice the better. I don't like the bird poop all over the vehicles either.

The problem I have now is that all of the cats in the neighborhood seem to come and visit this one. I wish they would realize I am not the Cat Welcome Wagon. I can only afford to fee this one cat.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 AM

To keep a cat off of counters inside, get one of those big plastic carpet protector things that you roll your desk chair on that has the pokey things to keep it from sliding. Cut to the size of your counter and place with pokey things facing up. Cats land on it and zing right off! I know that doesn't help much with the bird problem. There are motion sensor sprinklers available that you hook up to your hose so when kitty cat gets near the feeder he gets a squirt without you having to monitor the hose.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 AM

My particular cats play with water. I doubt a sprinker would be an issue for long. After the first startle factor, they would be back and cooling off.