Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to Catch a Wild Cat?

Banned
    We have this cat that hangs out under a tree in my backyard and eats all the song birds. I mean every single day he camps out under the tree. We tried to trap him in a metal trap thing you would for catching possums and we put cat food in it, But he is wild and doesnt know what cat food is. We went through tons of cat food and he wont touch it.

Should I call animal control? It just runs away.

Any ideas what to do?

Blog Entries
    I have a wild cat that had kittens and the family has adopted me :roll: LOL

I am putting food out and milk . Slowly they are getting used to me . I don't know how your animal control works but if you can't get it in a trap/cage I don't know what more you can do . I will have to eventually try to catch them and call animal control. Try to gain its trust

Banned
    I dont want to feed this cat. I am not a cat lover anyways, I just want it gone.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Animal control would just leave a trap but you have tried that. Hmmmmmmmmm. Let's see. What if you put some milk in a bowl. They smell milk and they know it from birth, You think? Then again, you could do like the old folks used to . Buy a big dog (stuffed) and set it out where the cat gets. Maybe put a tape out there a while till he runs off and stays off. Maybe hanging bells that will annoy him. If that doesn't work, try a 9 mm. LOL. Maybe run a sprinkler on slow until he leaves for good, move the feeders around. Darn cat....

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Just thought about something. Out here in the country, we go to a feed store and you can buy "Fox urine" and put a little around that area. It runs them off. Then again, if a skunk happens by and smells it, he will spray. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Banned
    We will try the milk idea. We wanted to do the 9mm idea, but my luck on of my neighbors will call the police!

Try putting some raw meat in the trap - like chicken. Either that or get one of the high powered water guns that shoot really far and soak him with that. If he can't see where it's coming from, he'll relate the water to the spot and know he doesn't like it. You'd have to be on duty a lot, though.

Banned
    raw meat and milk!! i will try that. thanks!

My Mom had one like that. He killed all her birds. My step dad hid near the tree with the hose and when the cat showed up, he sprayed the cat with water. 3 or 4 days of these and the cat found another place to go hang out.

Banned
    We have a neighbors cat that perches itself in our shrubs waiting for my squirrel to come eat and then he goes after them. I've never been an animal abuser but I'm thinking of taking it up. :lol:

Banned
    i told my hubby to buy a pellet gun and start shooting! Or maybe put some hot coal under the tree! :)

I had to trap a feral cat. We baited the trap with sardines. The more it stinks, the better the wild cats like it. Try that. I caught this one on the first try. Animal control said it would have to be put down. It tryed to attack us through the metal cage. The AC guy was afraid of it.

Blog Entries
    if you can't catch it, call animal control

In my past experience, Animal Control won't come out unless you have the animal in a controlled area (garage, cage, trap) They don't have the manpower to capture all the wild ones that are out there.

We had a stray that came around last year, ole softy Granny fed it and it became friendly, one day when I fed it and was petting it as usual, when it attacked my hand and bit my wrist. I had to shake him off. I came in and washed and peroxided it. In 2 hours it started to swell and hurt in 5 hours red marks up passed my elbow. Trip to ER, Large bag of IV antibiotics, 8 shots (including rabies) and after 3 hours allowed to go home. 4 more trips for the series of rabies shots within the next month. Later I got a copy of the bill. Just a few dollars off $8,000. Needless to day, no more cat friendships for me. Please be careful, it is not fun.

I really hate it when people just dump their animals or let their cats run the neighborhood. Feral cats are a real issue and don't get enough press time. They can be very hazardous to ecosystems and are disease carriers (especially to pregnant women).

Our deed restrictions call for the dogs to be on a leash and other animals are supposed to stay "within the borders of the owner's property". We all know cats do not stay in yards. My neighbor feeds her 3 in her garage, they run all over the neighborhood and think my flower beds and yard are their litter box. My husband has taken to delivery their deposits back to the owner. We've tried just about everything. (By the way, in case you think we don't like cats, we have 2 indoor cats that are more pampered than my husband wants to admit.)

Unless you have show animals, etc. All animals should be spayed/neutered. My in-laws are always arguing that they are "just barn cats and not pets" but if you feed them for years, they are yours. There are far too many unclaimed, unloved animals out there. (Sorry, I got on the soapbox. It is just so sad.)

Oh, my! How horrible! After Hurricane Hugo hit in NC, a stray kitten came up to our house. I took it in, fed it and almost had my husband convinced we were going to keep it. I went out in the garage a few days after it showed up, and saw a puddle of blood, then saw the kitten vomit up some more. Took it to the vet and it turned out it had feline leukemia. That was a pricey almost-ours kitty.

Banned
    people around here move and leave their cats behind. My neighbor lets his cat out for a walk on his own every freakin day!

Blog Entries
    Set up a water sprinkler where he/she hangs out, nobody gets hurt, birds get a bath.

Blog Entries
    I use some chicken wire. Just lay some sheets of it around your tree. I spray paint it bright orange so I can pick it up before we mow the yard. Cats won't walk on it because it hurts their feet. I put it in my flowerbeds to keep the cats from using it a their litterbox.

We where able to catch one with BBQ chicken in the live trap, they love the smell. after you can call animal control to the local SPCA. Good luck

Blog Entries
    Try putting a can of tuna in the trap. We caught a feral like that, took him to the vet and had him fixed. Then he disappeared! Ungrateful critter. LOL

Trapping wild cats is no picnic. As Cabinqltr said, it can be extremely dangerous. Be very careful. Unlike house pets, this cat is more apt to be carrying diseases. Even if you can catch him/her in a trap with sardines, it will probably reach through the cage to attack so wear something very protective or use a long hooked bar to carry the cage. Or, if you can get it trapped call AC and tell them that you have a wild cat in a trap and need them to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
    We will try the milk idea. We wanted to do the 9mm idea, but my luck on of my neighbors will call the police!
    Sorry, can't let this one slip by. Apologies to all but please don't joke about shooting a bothersome cat. All I can picture is a wounded animal, in pain, wandering around. End of rant.

Quote Originally Posted by cabinqltr
    We had a stray that came around last year, ole softy Granny fed it and it became friendly, one day when I fed it and was petting it as usual, when it attacked my hand and bit my wrist. I had to shake him off. I came in and washed and peroxided it. In 2 hours it started to swell and hurt in 5 hours red marks up passed my elbow. Trip to ER, Large bag of IV antibiotics, 8 shots (including rabies) and after 3 hours allowed to go home. 4 more trips for the series of rabies shots within the next month. Later I got a copy of the bill. Just a few dollars off $8,000. Needless to day, no more cat friendships for me. Please be careful, it is not fun.
    Yikes. That is scary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast