Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to dispose of oral meds

Blog Entries

How to dispose of oral meds

I have a 2 quart bag of outdated oral med. I need to dispose of. We are on a septic system so if I flush them down the toilet they will get into streams and the American River and I understand mess up the wild life environment. Thought about planting them in the garden and let the gophers have at them. Do any of you with medical background have a suggestion?
    Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of God!

I take back to drugstore and they dispose of them
    Gale

Our local police dept has annual drives for collection of prescription meds, and have access to a state disposal lab. Have you thought of asking your police dept or local Health dept?

Quote Originally Posted by nanOmint View Post
    I have a 2 quart bag of outdated oral med. I need to dispose of. We are on a septic system so if I flush them down the toilet they will get into streams and the American River and I understand mess up the wild life environment. Thought about planting them in the garden and let the gophers have at them. Do any of you with medical background have a suggestion?
    Call your local pharmacy and ask them. In our state it is a regulated procedure for the pharmacies to be able to take back medications for disposal and the ones who are able to only do it at certain times, not on a regular basis. The regulations may vary from state to state so a local pharmacy will have the best info for your area.

The gophers are wildlife too ... so no to that idea!

And too, it's not just the wildlife that could be affected .... it could be you too!
    Any drugs flushed, dumped or planted, could eventually make their way back into your water supply.

So yes, look to your local pharmacy as your place of return ... or any other local initiatives that may be available to you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take them to your local drug store and ask them to dispose of them for you. They can do it safely.

Jane
    Jane

Having just gone through this with the passing of my Mom.. The hospital advised to submerge the contents in the container in water and place in the trash. The Hospital will not take any prescription medications for disposal. The pharmacy would not take them either... to much liability if they are not "really" disposed since they do not have to track medications once they leave the pharmacy.
    Last edited by Lori S; 01-04-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have a 2 quart bag of outdated oral med. I need to dispose of
    Google is your friend. I see that you're in California, so I googled "how to dispose of medications in California".

http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/homehaz.../household.htm

Blog Entries
    The police here take them and also the phamacy will take and dispose of them properly. Thanks for not dumping them into a septic or sewer system.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Police here will take them.

Our local fire department collects them
    Carmen E.

Here, there is an envelope for purchase at the drug stores. Not free - I have donated non expired ones to a charity that takes them.
    Alyce

You are so right--medications should NEVER be flushed as they survive the water treatment process and will end up back in your drinking water eventually. Besides the police, our local Medical Association has drop off boxes. Because our municipal trash is incinerated not dumped in a landfill, we can also mix the meds with old grease or coffee grounds then put them in the trash for incineration. The containers are recyclable plastic.

How to dispose of meds

Our local Sheriff's office has a drop box for disposing of mess - you may want to check this out.

Blog Entries
    I asked my drugstore, the pharmacy told me to smash them with a hammer, mix them with coffee grounds and throw them in the trash.

Just a thought here ... in this area, coffee grounds go to compost.
    Do they not in other areas??
    If so ... never mix in meds!!

If going to landfill, it can eventually leach back into the water system.

If going to incineration .... different story.

You can take to your doctors office, police station or I've worked with Hospice and we take a diaper (or bed pad). Then place oral meds on it and add water (if the meds are large, I will start to brake the meds up). When you add the water to them they fall apart. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jothesewer2 View Post
    I asked my drugstore, the pharmacy told me to smash them with a hammer, mix them with coffee grounds and throw them in the trash.
    Similar to this ... We were told to put them in a coffee grinder with coffee beans.

Judy in Phx, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbie View Post
    You can take to your doctors office, police station or I've worked with Hospice and we take a diaper (or bed pad). Then place oral meds on it and add water (if the meds are large, I will start to brake the meds up). When you add the water to them they fall apart. Good luck
    And then how do you dispose of the dissolved meds?

The police and pharmacies have disposal times during the year. We take them to designated pharmacies and while the police watch we place them in the disposal barrels.

Power Poster
    Take them to your druggist or to a hospital...

When my Mom passed, Hospice told us to mix her meds with either used coffee grounds or cat litter. Then put in the trash in a bag. We double checked this with the druggist & he said the same thing.

Pharmacy will usually dispose of them, but call and check first in case a particular pharmacy does not do this.

If you try the gopher thing and it works would you please let me know. For the first time in my life I am dealing with wells and septic and gophers and voles as well as meds... it would be nice if it worked - I do try to recycle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by linkd View Post
    If you try the gopher thing and it works would you please let me know. For the first time in my life I am dealing with wells and septic and gophers and voles as well as meds... it would be nice if it worked - I do try to recycle.
    I think this is a better way as far as the voles go:
    http://blog.tcgardens.com/?p=319

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast