How do I prevent bed bugs?

Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 AM

Debra K , I was reading all the ideas . Read yours and cracked up. lol Sounds like a plan to me.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:31 AM

We stay at Hampton Inn, Marriott or Country Inn & Suites and (knock on wood) haven't had any problems. It might be more of a problem in cities than traveling around in less populated areas also.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:33 AM

I always leave my clothes in my bag when I travel. Check the bed around the creases of the mattress.Wash your body and clothes before using bedding etc when you come home and you should be fine.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:20 AM

Have I been living under a rock or something? I never knew this was a problem. I have stayed in Hotels all over the country and the only time we had "bugs" was in Jamaica on our honeymoon 20 years ago - that, I expect. I guess I have been lucky.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by suern3
Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
Suggestions: move the bed away from the walls...put a cup with water under the legs of the bed. The bugs can get up on the cup but will drown .
Take duct tape and put it arund each bed leg wit the sticky side out.
Diatanateous Earth(like for pool filters) spread near the baseboards will kill them, (use that fr slugs in the yard) It shreds their insides...death.
Bring a plastic mattress cover to encase the mattress, bring own linen.
Leave nothing on the foor.
When you get home..wah all clothes rightaway.
Put your luggage in a sealed trash bag and leav it in the sun for a few days.
Never letkids bring their stuffed friends to hotels. never know what attaches to them.
Ask at hotel if there has been a problem there with bedbugs.
If it is a Chain call the headquarters ask about the bug situation in the ne yu will be in, Ask about the cleanliness ratings. (AAA has a lot of nfo like that.
I did a lot of rsearch and talked to exterminators whenDD and friends had a great problem in their dorm room. After many tries to clear it and many months being seperated from their friends, an th room sealed for weeks on end, they moved back together to the same problem. The bugs were in side the wall. The college promised to rid the nest and to seal that room for a year. So no other girl would go through that/
I'm sorry, but if I had to go through all of this, I would just stay home. :)
me too-stay home and sew
Old 05-09-2011, 05:57 AM

A hint was given that you could put dryer sheets under the corners of your mattress to keep spiders etc out of your bed. So I now wonder if the dryer sheets would keep the bed bugs away. Wouldn't hurt to throw some in your suitcases to keep the little things away from them.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
Suggestions: move the bed away from the walls...put a cup with water under the legs of the bed. The bugs can get up on the cup but will drown .
Take duct tape and put it around each bed leg wit the sticky side out.
Diatanateous Earth(like for pool filters) spread near the baseboards will kill them, (use that for slugs in the yard) It shreds their insides...death.
Bring a plastic mattress cover to encase the mattress, bring own linen.
Leave nothing on the foor.
When you get home..wash all clothes right away.
Put your luggage in a sealed trash bag and leave it in the sun for a few days.
Never letkids bring their stuffed friends to hotels. never know what attaches to them.
Ask at hotel if there has been a problem there with bedbugs.
If it is a Chain call the headquarters ask about the bug situation in the ne yu will be in, Ask about the cleanliness ratings. (AAA has a lot of nfo like that.
I did a lot of rsearch and talked to exterminators whenDD and friends had a great problem in their dorm room. After many tries to clear it and many months being seperated from their friends, an th room sealed for weeks on end, they moved back together to the same problem. The bugs were in side the wall. The college promised to rid the nest and to seal that room for a year. So no other girl would go through that/

Never never pick up old couches, mattresses from any curbside
Slash all mattresses and cushions. Tell that toal college bound kids and warn them.
I think I would rather sleep in my truck......lol
Old 05-09-2011, 10:09 AM

Geesh. I remember when staying in motels during trips was half the fun! Makes me want to bring my tent and go to a campground when I go north this year...at least you EXPECT bugs in the great outdoors and they don't seem the type to want to come home with you.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:13 AM

I have never seen one, hope I never do, but there are better things to worry about
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 PM

The bed bug is a major issue. One of the woman on the CBS early morning shows..travels all the time for her job, brought them to her house from a hotel/motel. She did a spot on the show about them and what it took to rid her house of them. Bed bugs are not caused by filthy conditions. The hotels she was staying at were 5 star hotels. She would not say their names..just that they were 5 star places. As far as the bedding goes...the bed spreads are NOT washed each time..just the sheets and blankets are. If you end up in a room where the cleaner is not honest or is in a hurry to leave for some reason..trust me..your bedding is not all cleaned and changed all the time. The second most common reason a cleaner is fired..is for not cleaning properly. My nephew has ran different hotel for 27 years now. Oh he has given us the ins and outs of what to look for.