Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do I travel with a cat????  HELP!! >

How do I travel with a cat???? HELP!!

How do I travel with a cat???? HELP!!

Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 PM

It depends on how long you are traveling. If you are only gone for a few days kitties do very well at home if you give them lots of food, water and a litter box. If you are gone for a week or more that is a different story. The cat needs to get used to traveling if it has not traveled before, so take the cat on short rides at home before you take it on a trip.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:45 PM

our cat does well in his large cage, and we put a pan in there with litter, we do hear him meow for about 25 miles, then silence the rest of the 3 day trip. I would advise you to at least take some advice from above, and go to a vet for some "cat candy" so the cat will be calm if you are not sure he likes to ride.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 PM

Brought my daughter's cat from Texas to Florida inside a moving truck. He just had a soft bed to sleep on, but he preferred a lap or the dashboard. No problem at all in the hotel room, just put out his litter box when we got there. La Quinta is great for allowing pets.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:36 PM

Several have mentioned meds- we were warned not to use them as the animal can vomit and affixiate themselves without you knowing it. Definately do some test runs with the cat.
I would personally use a harness so that while you are at a stop you can easily hook the cat up and it is less likely to get away should it get frightened and slip a collar
Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 PM

Be careful with a harness. They can fold themselves up like a noodle and slip out of them in a flash. Also, a cat loose in a car can slip out the door before you get your feet out and turn around to get them. Perhaps get the cat microchipped before you leave in case it gets away on you.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:08 PM

we moved 8 cats with us from ca. to kansas. they did real well. each one had its own cage that allowed it to stand up.(a small dog cage) then we had a medium size dog cage we had the litter box in.in back in the truck bed every couple of hours we would offer a chance to go potty. we also lined the cage they traveled in with a dog potty pad for any accidents.and then offered food and water. also cover the cage your cat will be in with a towel or light weight cover.like a cave effect, this helps them be calm. your cat may meow for a bit but will be okay. also when they get to their new place get the litter box where it goes and put some food and water out by the cage. cats don't eat where they potty so not by the litter box., then put her cage down prop the door open and let the cat come out as she wants. that way they will know where the litter box is right away so they aren't having problems later. also take extra potty pads with you so you can change it if needed also paper towels to dry the cat. also forgot to mention we would butt thier cage up in front of the litter box cage so they could not escape.good luck
Old 10-19-2011, 08:20 PM

Love the cat photo. I have traveled with cats in a carrier, never will do that again, and also when they were transquilized, never will do that again. My favorite way to travel with cats is to let them out of their carriers after you have been traveling and let them just go where they want in the car. Mine usually lay in the back window area, and I have one that has been on the dashboard, on the passenger side. If they sleep the ride is peaceful. Good luck on your travels. I am sure it will be fine. You may want to use a harness on your cat.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 PM

I drove with my cat in the car from Denver to Seattle and it worked out very well, of course she is a very calm cat. I put a covered cat box on the floor in the back. I had a cat carrier with comfy towels in it for her to lie down on and I got a large rodent water bottle and hung it on the door for her so she didn't get dehydrated. I spent some time before the trip teaching her how to use the water bottle. I drove a sedan and she found her comfy spot on the back window sill.

Before any door EVER got opened I made sure that the leash was attached and that I had a great hold on it if I was taking her out or that the leash was tied to something if she was not getting out (when I filled the gas tank, etc). I would also recommend getting her microchipped prior to the trip just in case.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 PM

After being forced to travel with my Bruno once, he now flies. The little beastie yowled the whole trip. Check with Delta or Continental. They used to be the only ones who transported animals.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:04 PM

My suggestion would be tranquilizer for both kitty and you! Lord, have mercy! Just taking my Vanya to the vet or to stay with my daughter (20 miles away) is an ordeal. He yowls and poops. MOST unpleasant!! Need I say he makes the trip in a paper lined crate now?