Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do I travel with a cat????  HELP!! >

How do I travel with a cat???? HELP!!

How do I travel with a cat???? HELP!!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by kathome
OK - Here's my advice based on experience. Twice I've had to move cats!! My first move was only a 30 minute drive and it was disaster with the cat in the carrier. I've learned alot since then.

About 4 years ago I drove from New Jersey to Texas with 2 cats. All went well and here's why:

If you want tranquilizers for the cat you will need to bring the cat TO the Vet, not just a phone call. No responsible Vet would prescribe a tranquilizer over the phone. Not only could it harm the animal, but very stupid humans have been known to take them to get high. (remember all the stories in the newspapers a few years ago?) So... the trip to the Vet will be a good indicator for the 750 miles to come.

Put the cat in the carrier. Sounds easy right? Not necessarily so. They are squirmers and will fight you all the way and then take off. Now you've got to chase it down and have a freaked out cat on your hands. Not a good start. My method of putting the cat in the carrier is to first stuff a pillow or the cat's bed on the bottom of the carrier. Preferably something that has the cat's scent on it. Then stand the carrier on it's end and gently put the cat in vertically back feet first. They can't see where they're going if you do it quickly enough. Then close the door and gently bring the carrier to a normal horizontal position.

If the Vet prescribes tranquilizers, follow the dosage, but I doubt you've ever tried to give a cat a pill. Again, not an easy task. So here's what you do: Get a can of the really expensive cat food. Not a chunky food, a smooth one. Crush the tranquilizer between two spoons and put it in a VERY small amount of the food. Smear this on the cat's front legs. Cats instinctively lick off anything that is on their fur. Voila! Medicine IN the cat!!

Now the following is REALLY IMPORTANT!!!! DRAPE A BLANKET over the carrier so the cat can't see. Then carry the cat in the carrier out to the ALREADY RUNNING VEHICLE. This way he/she is not freaked out by the sudden start of the engine and beeps and such.

Do NOT risk putting the cat out with a collar or a harness. I've yet to find a harness that my cat can't squirm out of - even the ones that are guaranteed "squirm-proof" and you will loose the cat if that happens. Also, don't be surprised if the cat does not eat or drink. On my trip to Texas (I drove 27 hours straight) my cat did not eat, drink or use the litter box, but survived quite well.

Oh, and one last thing, don't let the cat eat for a few hours before going on the long trip. If she freaks out she will vomit if she ate shortly before.

So that's all my advice on traveling with one of God's sweetest but strange and stubborn creatures.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Wish I had read this first...Very Wise advice given by a true cat person. LOVE THE Advatar.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:26 PM

There is a hormone spray called Feliway. Not sure if I spelled it right. We have used it with our cats and it seems to calm them down. Try Petsmart or the vets office may sell it as well.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:39 PM

Be sure you get a "Figure 8" type harness or the cat will escape from a regular collar. Also get tages with the new address on them just "in case".
Old 10-19-2011, 02:30 PM

I suggest you have your doctor prescribe Valium -- for YOU.

LoriAnn
Old 10-19-2011, 02:31 PM

Our cat made two round trips to Florida from Ohio. We just left her loose with a harness and leash to keep her in the back seat. She 'sang' for the first few miles but then settled down and was great.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:19 PM

My gd just traveled 5200 miles with her cat. She had him in her lap most of the him and he got up and stretched from time to time. She had the litter box in the back and he went and used it. Al night and when they stopped he was in the cage and at night she out him in the bathroom with the litter box. He was happy as a clam.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:49 PM
KLO

Have not read all the posts but when we moved from NC to FL and back 7 months later, we put our two cats in separate cages and the vet gave us "pee pads" for the bottom of the cages. It was a 8 - 10 hour trip and the cats never went. Once we were on the road for maybe 60 minutes, they settled in and mostly slept or rested. We had a litter box all ready for them when we got to the house. Oh and we offered water and a bit of food a couple of times when we stopped but they were not interested. Somehow they survived both trips. Not sure I did though. I also would not let a cat roam around the vehicle while driving. They could get under the foot of the driver and cause a big problem.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Very carefully!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
You travel in the car with the cat in the carrier. You stop & let the cat relieve itself in the greens at travel stops. Use a leash. In the motel, put familiar bed, food/water bowls, litter box in the bathroom, with the cat loose in the bathroom.

I suggest a drive of 30 min to "test" the cat. If it never calms down, get a tranquilizer from the vet. (Valium or whatever.)
I have a cat that I travel with and I agree with all of this. Another thing I have done is get an ID microchip implanted in my cat. It is smaller than a grain of rice and is injected with a syringe. If the cat gets lost while at a stop (has never happened yet and hope it never does) I can notify the local Humane society of the cat's identification code and my phone#. They will notify all the Vets also. It only cost $35.
Good luck with your journey!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
I like the leash idea.... I'm afraid the cat will run away. I have a small leash for my dog when he was a puppy. I think calling the vet is a great idea... don't know why I didn't think of that. My son says she's a good rider so I'm hoping I won't have 12 hours of cat crying.... don't know if I can handle that.
check with Tractor Supply or Farm N Fleet stores for a small animal harness. I bought one for my cat that was meant for a rabbit. It velcroes at the neck and at the stomach. If he fights alot (usually mine doesn't), he can still get this harness off.
I have traveled with cats and the cage was large enough that we put a small pan with litter in it and a water dish also. But make sure the cat can still lay out with them both in there.
Carefull, some states do not allow cats in motels or cabins, etc.
When we travel to Wisconsin, I pay more for the dog, but I cannot bring the cat. State law about that.