Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do I travel with a cat????  HELP!! >

How do I travel with a cat???? HELP!!

How do I travel with a cat???? HELP!!

Old 10-19-2011, 05:38 AM

My girlfriend let her cat loose in the car and the cat jumped out the window.....she stopped the car but sadly could not find the cat.....I think you should keep her in a carrier while on the road. Good Luck and travel safely.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:42 AM

I would keep it in a cage not lose in the car to ride around on your shoulder. Its dangerous.. Put it in the trailer if you like so you don't have to hear it cry. I see no difference with pulling a horse in a trailer or a cat. You could give the cat a bendryl. its onlly 25m.. the vet approved it for our cat.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 AM

When I travel with my cat, the carrier is just big enough for him to stand up in and turn around. He doesn't need a lot of space. A nice soft padding at the bottom of the carrier to keep him comfortable.

He did not travel well. He cried and meowed and threw up alot. He got food and water the night before and then took it away. He wouldn't get any food until we stopped for the night. We'd offer water but most of the time he wouldn't drink. WE did get prescription pills from the vet to give him that would knock him out if we could get him to take them.

Don't let him outside even with a harness. Mine did not like the harness and could always wiggle out of it unless I tightened it so tight he couldn't hardly breath-so never used it. On long drives, we'd have a small litter box made up and open the carrier in a closed car while at a rest stop and see if he'd need to go. Most of the time he didn't. And since it was small amount of litter we'd just throw it away at the rest stop if he did.

At the hotel, we'd set up the bathroom with a bunch of towels on the floor, his litter box, food and water bowls and let him out in the enclosed area.

Mine didn't do well out of the carrier if the car was moving. He'd always try to get under our feet by the pedals.

I'd practice with the cat first, see what type of a traveler he is. Take a few short trips, maybe with someone else in the car too in case it goes bonkers. In the carrier, out of the carrier, maybe a different size carrier if you have one available. Just to see what you are in for.

My vet also told me that it's better to have a health certificate if I was traveing interstate that said the cat had all it's vaccinations up to date. I never needed to use it, but since I'd get the knock out pills from her I got the letter too.

Good luck, you are a very nice mother to attempt this.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:37 AM

Be sure to put the litter box in the cage. Do not leave the cat loose in your vehicle because the first time you open the door the cat is out that door. The vet might give it a shot to keep it calm. They meow a lot to begin with, so being in the trailer will keep you from going crazy. Voice of experience here.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:45 AM

When I moved with cats, they stayed in a pet carrier while in the car. At night they were allowed into the room. Of course, I brought a litter box for them to use while they were out of their carrier. I tried walking them on a leash, which was totally futile. This is what worked for me.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 AM

I would keep the cat in a carrier. My daughters friend moved and she let her cat climb around the car. It got under her seat and then when she stopped for gas it got out real fast she spent the next hour trying to catch the cat. she did thank god!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Helovesme
Egads. Has the cat ever traveled? Mine goes beserk when I put her in her carrier once a year to see the vet.

Earplugs. Get some earplugs.
As long as you're not the person driving. You are a BRAVE person to do this, I can barely make it to the vets, that is after putting on the bandaids from wrestling her into the carrier. Second thought, your cat will love driving and be great the whole distance (do they have kitty prozac?)
Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 AM

We travel back & forth to Florida yearly. It is a 2 day trip each way. No leash (my cat won't tolerate it), but I don't let the cat out of the car. I start out with her on my lap and when she is comfortable I let her roam the car. I have a litter box on the floor of the backseat and small covered containers of food & water. When we stop for gas/rest I take the covers off. She may/may not eat or relieve herself, but it's available. She does fine in the motel room, just bring in the food/water & litter box. Give her time to relieve herself in the a.m. We stack some boxes and I have a cat quilt (or use a towel) and invert a box top to make a bed of sort for her to rest on behind my seat. She likes to be up high. Do you have anything of your DS's that smells like him? The cat may be more comfortable laying on that. It may take a while but the cat will settle down.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:41 AM

I have to say-Crate, crate, crate! Remember, anything loose in your vehicle, including animals become missiles in accidents. Not only do they have a much greater chance of getting hurt, killed or lost in an accident, but the animal flying through the air can cause damage to you. They are much safer in a sturdy, plastic crate. More than one dog has survived a serious car accident because their crate protected them-think carseat for children. A crate cover is a great idea, if the cat doesn't like to travel. Make sure it covers any "open" area. I would put a puppy pad, or depends type pad in the bottom to absorb any wet accidents, with an old towel over the top for comfort. Also, be aware there is a good chance the cat may pick up fleas in the hotel room. If the cat is not UTD on flea treatment, I'd suggest treating prior to the trip. Lastly, I would NEVER take a cat, my own or any other for a potty walk. I have seen cats practically turn themselves inside out to get out of harnesses. Personally, just not worth the risk for me. My dogs can go for eight hours w/out a potty break, most likely the cat can wait until you get to the hotel.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:48 AM

I've traveled many summers with a big, fuzzy tuxedo cat...I used a good size carrier with his soft blankee and a small litter box in the back of the carrier. When we stopped at rest stops, I took him out of the carrier with a leash and fed him outside. Also I put the carrier in the back of the SUV and put the back AC vents on. When we stopped at a motel for the night, we would leave the carrier door opened for him, but he usually slept on the bottom of the bed...Did he like traveling? - not particularly, but it worked ok for us. Hope this helps...