Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do I travel with a cat????  HELP!! >

How do I travel with a cat???? HELP!!

How do I travel with a cat???? HELP!!

Old 10-18-2011, 04:19 PM

My daughter has been traveling five hours to and from her dad's house in the city for years. She uses a small litter box on the floor in the backseat (lined with a litter tray liner) with about three cups of litter in the tray. Her cat just lays on her bags, coat, pillow or whatever is handy while they are traveling. We've even taken her camping with us for up to two weeks at a time in the 5th wheel. Now that she's getting older (16) she tends to get motion sickness so we have to make sure her food and water were removed from her in the evening before her trip starts. So far so good. We also "dry lot" cattle before taking them to the livestock auction. It helps keep the trailer and the cattle a lot cleaner. Works the same for a cat.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:21 PM

I moved from Texas to Iowa bringing my 2 cats with me. I put the litter box on the floor in the back seat and fed them and gave them a drink each time we stopped. They both were large cats and loved to lay in the back window in the sun and sleep. They handled the trip very well.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

I tried putting a leash on my cat.

It did not like the idea. At all.

I would be worried about the cat getting out and running away if left loose at any point.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
I like the leash idea.... I'm afraid the cat will run away. I have a small leash for my dog when he was a puppy. I think calling the vet is a great idea... don't know why I didn't think of that. My son says she's a good rider so I'm hoping I won't have 12 hours of cat crying.... don't know if I can handle that.
If she's not used to a leash, it may freak her out. I'd be working on that ahead of time, if I were you. I love cats, but they are unpredictable at times.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:08 PM

When we moved from Indiana to Virginia, we moved with our old girl Boxer Sadie and two cats - Boomer and Kassi. Still have Boomer - the old fart.

Anyway, we had the dog crate set up in the back of the Trailblazer. Neither one had EVERY traveled. In the crate we had a litter box, a hammock and a travel bowl of water. I also completely covered the crate with a blanket so that the noise, lights and confusion are lessened. The first couple of hours were not great but then they settled down. (Wish I would have thought about the vet and drugs. But you should ONLY do it with the vet's advise. Just about everything over the counter is toxic to cats.)

When we got to the hotel for the overnight, I caught them in the dog crate (with the doors of the car closed) and put them in their go-to-the-vet carrier. Once we were settled in the hotel we let them out of the carrier and gave them free rein of the room. Actually, it was a suite at Country Inn and they had hightailed it for bedroom. The bathroom was off the bedroom, so we put the litter box and stuff under the bathroom counter. When DH had to walk Sadie in the middle of the night, he just closed the bedroom door. They both came out during the night for loving. In the morning, they went back in their carrier. They were the first thing taken to the car. Once they were securely in the crate (with litter box, etc.) we loaded Sadie and everything else in the car.

Having moved three other times since, every time it has basically been the same. I do give them run of the hotel rooms, because that they really need that closeness and loving from me to able to tolerate the crate time.

BTW, my cats are totally indoor cats, so I purchased harnesses for both of them (safe to use in the crate - not collars), had tags made with our cell phone numbers and my mom's phone number, and they wore them from two days prior to the trip, the trip and about a week later, in case they decided to attempt an escape.

HTH and your trip is good. Let us know.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:15 PM

Get to know Kitty as soon as possible. Pick her up, hold her, spend some time w her, so she'll trust you.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
You travel in the car with the cat in the carrier. You stop & let the cat relieve itself in the greens at travel stops. Use a leash. In the motel, put familiar bed, food/water bowls, litter box in the bathroom, with the cat loose in the bathroom.

I suggest a drive of 30 min to "test" the cat. If it never calms down, get a tranquilizer from the vet. (Valium or whatever.)
Don't use just a collar and leash, you need a harness style
restraining system. A cat can squirm out of anything. Concider putting a tag on the harness just like a dog tag, with name and number of your vet. Never take the harness off for the few days you are traveling. crate it when driving. let it out in the motel room so it can use the litter but always crate it before opening the outside door. Remember it is only for a few days and you will have your nerves tested. The more restraints you can keep on the cat the more relaxed you can be.

It may be a good idea to talk to some people who travel to cat shows and find out how they do it. Good luck and happy reunion for the cat and your son. Let us know how it goes!

jrhboxers has very good advice!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:36 PM

I have been wondering this as well-- we will soon be moving 3000 miles with the cat, and the dog -- who don't get along. It should be an adventure. I'm glad you asked this though - I hadn't thought about talking to the vet about sedatives.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

I use the canvas carrier with the opening in the top. Much easier to get the cat in and out. It's very roomy and my outside cats don't mind it at all when having to go to the vets. In the old plastic carrier they would howl all the way there, but not in the canvas one. I put an old bath towel in the carrier in case there is an accident and then just toss it. The cat will last all day and not go to the bathroom until you get to the hotel and put out a box with litter. I doubt he will eat much while traveling. I drove from CA to AR many times with various cats and never had a problem. Be sure and strap the carrier in a seat belt. Keep the cat in the carrier until safely in a closed bathroom. Cats will bolt in a heartbeat in a strange place.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Many good suggestions here --
Traveling with a cat is different for everyone. Since this cat doesn't "know" you, it will be a challenge for all of you.

Cats will run faster than you ever think possible so I would never let them out of the carrier...sorry others will disagree. If you are in the front and they are under the back seat or under one of the front seats, you cannot reach them without opening a door and then the cat is outta there. If the cat "knew" you and trusted you completely then it would be your choice to let them roam.

Generally a vet will give you a sedative for the cat to ease it's discomfort. Be aware though it may still meow just out of instinct. Ours did NOT like having the radio on...I think the high pitch was too much for them in the car.

Most cats sleep all day so to be in the carrier is not a problem. Still have a harness on them. HAVE the leash ATTACHED at all times and hooked to the outside of the carrier. Should the carrier come open or they slip away while putting them in it...they will be tied to the carrier.

Take some "old" litter with you to use. It will smell like them already and won't seem so strange. BE sure to use their normal litter box if possible.

Don't put food in the carrier...again they generally sleep all day. Feed them at night and a little bit in the morning to avoid them getting carsick. A couple days of light food will not hurt them by any means.

Think about having "treats" for them to nibble on.

Take a few bottles of the water they are used to drinking with you. Strange water can also give them a tummy ache. Be sure to give the bottles to your son to use also for a few days.

Keeping their vision limited may also help with them being happy.

Think about getting it micro-chipped as a gift to your son if it isn't already...as a "just in case".

Always err on the side of extreme caution. It would not be a good experience if something happened to it.