Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do I travel with a cat????  HELP!! >

How do I travel with a cat???? HELP!!

How do I travel with a cat???? HELP!!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:59 PM

Good luck! Hope all goes well!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:16 PM

I just did a cat carrier when we drove from northern california to southern 16hour trip about 600+ miles. If you have a carrier big enough to put a small litter box in that would be better, otherwise the cat will just pee on itself like mine did on the trip, I wouldn't recommend them being outside a box because they tend to freak out with trips. You might even get a mild sedative from your vet to calm your cat for the trip
Old 10-18-2011, 02:17 PM

The last time I picked up my granddaughter and took her to her Dad's house she brought her cat. We put the cat in the carrier and seatbelted the carrier down. After we were out on the highway and not making any more turns or stops we let her out.

This is her sitting under my chin watching traffic.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-273431.jpe  
Old 10-18-2011, 02:48 PM

I don't think I would let a cat that doesn't know me outside on a trip like that - harness or no. I would do as suggested by others:
check with the vet, use the crate in the car and use the larger crate and litter pan in the hotel room. For a 750 mile trip you are really only talking about one night. I would split the travel evenly so neither day is excessively long for him. And happy pills couldn't hurt, either.

If you do decide to use a harness, here's a handy link, and plan to give him an opportunity to get used to the harness before you start the trip.
http://www.petproductadvisor.com/buy...150/page1.aspx
Old 10-18-2011, 02:49 PM

What a great picture Scissor Queen. Mycats all seem to do better in the car out of the carrier. We usually put a small litter box on the floor behind the passenger seat. We'd get them in the car using a carrier but let them out after we were on our way. they would find a spot and stay there the whole trip.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
This is her sitting under my chin watching traffic.
This is illegal (and unsafe) in my state.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:56 PM

I've traveled with my cat, quite easily. She rides in her pet carrier, that I've padded with a soft towel. When I got to the motel, I brought her into the room, brought in the litter box and let her out. She knew immediately where the box was, and used it. Most motel rooms these days (I think) have the underside of the bed blocked off so she couldn't get underneath and impossible to retrieve. I'm lucky, in that she's quite content and doesn't meow the entire way. That'll depend on how content your son's kitty is.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:37 PM

I like the leash idea.... I'm afraid the cat will run away. I have a small leash for my dog when he was a puppy. I think calling the vet is a great idea... don't know why I didn't think of that. My son says she's a good rider so I'm hoping I won't have 12 hours of cat crying.... don't know if I can handle that.
-------------------------------------------------------------
NOT A COLLAR!!! Cats can get out of them easily, especially when frightened, even by a passing car. Use a snug harness...but even better, keep him caged the whole time he's in the car.
Go for drugs if the vet approves, it'll probably take a visit to the vet to get him to either prescribe or sell them to you directly.

Good luck...
Old 10-18-2011, 03:45 PM

I moved my cat from TX to MN about 1500 miles....
Our Vet gave us some sedative in case we needed it but it wasn't necessary.
Zipster had limited experience in the car.... we got a travel crate ( really just big enough for him to stand in) We sat the crate in the house for several weeks with the door open and a cat well loved towel that had our scent on it....and a cat harness... He wasn't thrilled in the beginning but he settled down ok with in about 30 min.... we just talked to him. We stopped every hour or 2 and took him out on the harness... at first we had to drag him to make him stretch his legs and tried to get him to drink some water. By the 3rd stop he was walking pretty well on the leash. We rented a hotel that accepted cats... we carried him in via the crate.. we had a "portable" cat box to set up in the hotel room.... we allowed Zipster to roam the hotel room, eat and use his box as was his normal routine at home. He was ready to get back in his crate in the morning....After every break Zipster was ready to get back in his crate....
Old 10-18-2011, 03:46 PM

OK I travel with my cat to our second home 140 miles away every two wks back and forth...The first couple of trips were torture with her Meows and clawing at the cage door.
She also hyberventalated if she saw moving objects thru the side of the cage...I had to blow in her face to snap her out of it...
Here's what I did and now she loves traveling...
First I had a small cage and she hated it so I got the next size...noise from cars and trucks and wind upset them so keep windows closed...
Cover the cage with a towel or blanket on the sides so she can only see out the front. Put a nice warm blanket or towel or small pillow in the cages for her/him to sit/sleep on.
Don't use a dog least they will get out of it. You need a cat body harness and leash you can get at the pet store. But at rest stops I'd just put her in the bigger cage with the litter and let her go but again make sure you have the harnass leash on her to transfer her from one cage to the other. You might lose control of her without it if she gets nervous and starts struggling.
Don't feed her where her litter is...they won't eat near where they go. So when she's finished and back in the small cage put her food in that and feed her before you start your trip again..don't forget water at the same time. Remove dishes because it will just spill when moving.
You'll probably have allot of meowing till she adapts and hope it doesn't cont the whole 750 miles but just be patient and talk to her/him.
In the motel I'd let her stay in the larger cage because if she doesn't know you and you let her loose your going to have a hell of a time trying to catch her, though in the Bthrm not much she can hide under but don't let her out into the rm...she'll get under those beds and you'll wish you didn't let her loose.
My vet won't give meds...for traveling...but can't hurt to ck.
Good Luck...