Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms? >

How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

Old 04-21-2011, 05:46 PM

For those who think it may be due to something in your dog's past, my little dog had no problems with thunder until just the last 2 years (he's 8). I've use Bach Rescue Remedy and Storm Stress (vet recommended). I think those who've advised that the owner stay calm and project that are right. Our dog seems to respond best to being put in his crate. (Holding him doesn't help at all.) When I see/hear a storm coming, I give him the homeopathic remedy, sit near him (my foot pushing against his butt seems to help), and speak calmly to him. If he gets too agitated, or if he wakes us up in the middle of the night when a storm comes before we're aware of it, he goes to his crate. I think you have to try all these suggestions and see what works for your dog. (We're thinking about trying the thundershirt, too).
Old 04-21-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by fayzer
I said "Downer" but Roxy actually takes anti-anxiety medication. I am going to try the "settle" massage. I would love to get her into a relaxed state during a storm. I have gotten her beyond being scared when there is only rain. That is a little progress
Its not something I have tried, but I hear great things about a type of massage called T-Touch. I think theres a book about it.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:06 PM

[quote=rushdoggie]
Originally Posted by fayzer
Its not something I have tried, but I hear great things about a type of massage called T-Touch. I think theres a book about it.
That's what my trainer teaches -- when we massage along the dog's spine and say "settle."

I just googled "t touch massage for dogs" and found lots of references.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Okay, this is going to sound very unpopular but just hear me out. LOL

DO NOT comfort a dog that is afraid. Don't coddle him, pet him or otherwise try to "love" him better.

Why not? For the same reason that you DO pet him when he does something good: you are telling him that whatever he just did is the right thing to do! So when you pet him while he's panicking in a storm you're telling him he was right - he SHOULD be afraid!

Instead, you need to be calm and confident. Lead by example - project the idea that there is nothing to fear, and that you are in control of the situation. You aren't going to let anything bad happen to him, but you can't tell him that with words or petting - instead, let your body language and energy tell him that.

As tough as it is, you have to ignore the behavior you don't want. In this case, I would put him in a sit or down position next to you, silently project your calm confidence and read a book or sew something. As long as he is sitting where you asked him to be, ignore him until he calms down - THEN you can praise him, thereby reinforcing the relaxed behavior.

No drugs, no feeling sorry for him. Instead help him face his fears and get over them. It isn't easy and it won't be instant, but I promise it's well worth the effort!
You are so right. Only reward the 'right' behavior. Your attention is the biggest reward.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:32 PM

One adult Beadryl tablet will do the trick. Try to give it before the storm hits. I have been doing this for years with my 2 little Yorkies :-D
Old 04-21-2011, 07:37 PM

I live in FL so we have thunderstorms almost daily in the summer. Our dog would go crazy and wine and pace the floor,drool everywhere, follow me everywhere. If there was no one home when the storm started she would open the door to the garage with her paw (the lever kind of handle). I would come home and find it wide open to a large 3 car garage that had the air conditioning "trying" to cool it. LOL...It's funny now.But if we were home I would put her in the laundry room with a radio on. She also hated fire works. We had to put her down last fall due to cancer. I miss her following me and giving her my last bite of my dinner everyday. She would sit and wait for it.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:38 PM

Ear plugs and Steak Bone??
Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Okay, this is going to sound very unpopular but just hear me out. LOL

DO NOT comfort a dog that is afraid. Don't coddle him, pet him or otherwise try to "love" him better.

Why not? For the same reason that you DO pet him when he does something good: you are telling him that whatever he just did is the right thing to do! So when you pet him while he's panicking in a storm you're telling him he was right - he SHOULD be afraid!

Instead, you need to be calm and confident. Lead by example - project the idea that there is nothing to fear, and that you are in control of the situation. You aren't going to let anything bad happen to him, but you can't tell him that with words or petting - instead, let your body language and energy tell him that.

As tough as it is, you have to ignore the behavior you don't want. In this case, I would put him in a sit or down position next to you, silently project your calm confidence and read a book or sew something. As long as he is sitting where you asked him to be, ignore him until he calms down - THEN you can praise him, thereby reinforcing the relaxed behavior.

No drugs, no feeling sorry for him. Instead help him face his fears and get over them. It isn't easy and it won't be instant, but I promise it's well worth the effort!
This is the method we ended up using. Our dog was a 12 year old when we rescued him. The first 4th of July he trembled constantly so we tried a tranquilizer from the vet but didn't like the effect on him at all. Now we just act normally around him during thunderstorms and he seems to be getting better. No holding him as he weighs 73 pounds! My mom's poor dog used to get in the bathtub during storms.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:22 AM

Our Boston was fearful of thunder. Since she had a heart condition, we tried the tranquilizers from the vet, they knocked her out for at least 24 hours. So unless she was panting so bad we thought she'd die, we didn't give them to her. We had a cement block shower stall in the basement bathroom which was rarely used (unless you slipped and fell in "something" in the barn or pasture :lol: ) so we kept an old blanket on the floor in it. She would go down there in the dark where there were no windows and hide til she was ready to come upstairs, but we never coddled her or really paid much directed attention to her, just kept an eye on her breathing. If hiding takes care of the problem, let her hide. Dogs live by instinct..not thought processes like humans.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:31 AM

I made a version of the ThunderShirt on Monday afternoon for my rescue chocolate lab. I went to the online store to see just what it looked like and made my own. Storms came that night until 4am, had his shirt on and was calm all night. I got a pair of 95%cotton/5% spandex pants to match his fur.

I did order a real Thundershirt but needed one Monday night---it WORKED great. He went to the vet the next day for his heartworm and shots, was calm in the car and at the office.
I will return the real shirt because it is just t-shirt knit shaped to the dogs body. Next I will make one for my black lab/beagle using a black pair of pants or t-shirt. Two hours of pattern making and sewing was well worth it.

Both will have their 'shirts' on tonight when the next round of storms come to the Mitten state.
Jan in MI