How do you do that?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:44 PM

Have to correct myself as to the above post about electric blankets---it was an electric MATTRESS PAD that had the bias tape stuff on it and that I took off---that why it was so darn heavy. Sorry about that!!!! Old age kicked in again.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:22 AM

A person can also get used blankets at thrift stores very cheap to use in their quilts. I have some to use, just have not been able to yet.. as the quilts I have made have been either way to big or small for the sizes I have.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:02 AM

Thany you to TnBecky for your info. To the others who questioned my request/sanity(?)--I had been out of work for three years and finally found a minimum wage job but only 8 - 10 hours a week. I have student loans to pay and a credit card-neither is forgiving of nonpayment. I am 64 years old and need to work. I believe that if I paid good money for something that no longer is functional as purchased and can be used in another manner it is sensible to make do with what I have. Besides I like the challenge. I count my blessings where I find them every day. Hope I answered your questions. Make it a good day
Old 05-04-2012, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Phyllis42 View Post
Where do you buy the sheet blankets? I can't seem to find them any more.

I sure would like to know where to buy sheet blankets, also. I have looked in stores and surfed the internet. Hope someone knows where to get them. My mother used sheet blankets and she also took the wiring out of electric blankets and just bound them or used them in quilts.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:38 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by buslady View Post
One of the things I like about this board. Everyone has an opinion, and can express it. You can use the infomation provided in feedback to make a decision as to whether or not you would do a certain technique. Can you imagine if no one shared ideas, and no one listened to others opinions? This is just a great place to hang out! Haven't really thought of the blanket issue, but I will now.
+

You said it !! much better than I could of ! ^5 to you !! and you are so right !!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:43 AM

First let me say Hello to another quilter in TN. About the electric blanket trick, I talk with a lady in OK & she is the one who told me about this. She is 86 & has more knowledge than I could ever imagine. So why not recycle blanket's just like we recycle fabric, shirts, jeans or anything else that we have laying around. Let's just call it being "Green". There is no sense in throwing something in the garbage when you can use it in a wonderful quilt. I hope that you have fun doing this & NEVER let anyone discourage you from trying. I hope to see picture's of your quilts someday.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:47 AM

Sometimes I will buy fleece to use in a quilt if it's alot cheaper than batting.... And just what is a "sheet blanket"?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:48 AM

I am amazed at everyone's ingeniouty.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:52 AM

!!! I don't waste --- that's why I re-use the electric blankets! I don't use them as batting, but I DO have them ready for grandkids to use on the ground outside.....I don't worry, if the blankets get torn or stained -- big deal, it was a "throw-away blanket". And I didn't think it was all that hard to take the wiring out ---have had to do more than one snip of the blanket....but got them out.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by nycbgirl View Post
Sometimes I will buy fleece to use in a quilt if it's alot cheaper than batting.... And just what is a "sheet blanket"?
Now that's another good idea. I would not have thought about that. Thanks.