Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HOW DO YOU EAT AN ELEPHANT? >

HOW DO YOU EAT AN ELEPHANT?

HOW DO YOU EAT AN ELEPHANT?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:58 AM

One of my Mom"s favorite sayings was"don't worry 'til you have too!" A great philosophy saves a lot of unnecessary time worrying aboutthe what ifs untilabsolutely necessary Jane2
Old 02-18-2011, 12:41 PM

What won't kill you will make you stronger. It may be easier to get forgiveness than permission. That says more about you than me. Beauty is as Beauty does. If you don't have time to do it right today, when will you have time to fix it? a thing of beauty is a joy forever.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:15 PM

My Grandmother used to say "You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear", when she'd see someone with too much make-up. And one I said and my darling grandson said, Oh Gigi you are so funny, "it's raining cats and dogs out here, I just stepped in a poodle".
Old 02-18-2011, 01:25 PM

there were a million of them, but i loved the ones that we deliberately mangled:
"he who laughs last is worth two in the bush"
"people who live in glass houses should undress in the basement."
"he who laughs last didn't get it"
"a rolling stone wanders..."
"he who hesitates, lingers."
"he who hesitates is last."
"a bird in the hand is messy."

my momma was a little warped, but in a good, silly way. i loved it.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:46 PM

When I taught school in Illinois we would "fix" dinner. When I said that in Colorado the kids would roll out of their seats laughing! Then they would ask me if dinner was broken? They taught me someone could be "a total waste of oxygen", "saddle your horse before you cuss the cook", and "when ifs and buts are candy and nuts, we'll all have a Merry Christmas". My Mother-in-Law in Michigan would say something was so old it was here "since Day 1" and "can't see the forest for the trees". Dad said the worst people thought "Big Me and Little You'. His rule for food was to "Eat Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince and Dinner like a Pauper". Our friends in England like soemthing so say it is "over the moon" and call downtown "city centre".
Old 02-18-2011, 02:12 PM

My dad used to say about conceted arrongant people, I wish I could buy them for what their worth and sell them of what they think they're worth!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ljorange
My grandkids think it's funny when I say "it ain't funny, McGee!". They'd have no idea where that saying came from. They haven't heard the words I heard either, like "piffle". That was the closest my Grandma came to swearing.
My Mom used to say "it ain't funny ,McGee!" I always wondered where it came from too. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :lol:
Old 02-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
My grandkids think it's funny when I say "it ain't funny, McGee!". They'd have no idea where that saying came from. They haven't heard the words I heard either, like "piffle". That was the closest my Grandma came to swearing.
My Mom used to say "it ain't funny ,McGee!" I always wondered where it came from too.
My mom said that , too! I also wondereds who Mc Gee was, Maybe had something to do with the radio show Fibber Mcgee and Moly?

She also said, don't worry it will all come out in the wash. Then my brother added, "Yeah, but that rinse cycle can be p;ure hell!"
Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by tweezy50
My Mom used to say "it ain't funny ,McGee!" I always wondered where it came from too.
My mom said that , too! I also wondereds who Mc Gee was, Maybe had something to do with the radio show Fibber Mcgee and Moly?

She also said, don't worry it will all come out in the wash. Then my brother added, "Yeah, but that rinse cycle can be p;ure hell!"
I found this on Wikipedia: "When Fibber McGee tells a bad joke, Molly usually answers with the line "T'ain't funny, McGee!" (That became a familiar catch phrase during the 1940s.)"
Old 02-18-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by tweezy50

Sadly, I'm old enough to have listened to Fibber McGee and Molly.

I found this on Wikipedia: "When Fibber McGee tells a bad joke, Molly usually answers with the line "T'ain't funny, McGee!" (That became a familiar catch phrase during the 1940s.)"