Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you find time to sew? >

How do you find time to sew?

How do you find time to sew?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:33 PM

I can think of two ideas for you. First, go immediately to your sewing room when you get home and decompress there for 30 minutes, then go see hubby. You'll have to get his buy-in; maybe you can trade something. Second, the next time a charity or church event needs something, you are already engaged, sorry! You don't have to do everything they want you to do; skip some of it. Or, tell them you can't do whatever the new thing is because you are making a raffle quilt for them and it will take hundreds of hours. Then you can quilt guilt free. Of course, they will be expecting the quilt. Make sure it's a pattern and fabric you like and for heaven's sake, don't let them impose a deadline. Quilting is no fun with a deadline.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 03-23-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
You people are wonderful! Such great advice. I have decided to be more forceful and insistent. Not bad, just determined to find time for me. The kids are grown and gone and somehow I found time for all their activities and sewed their costumes and altered their clothes (both tall and thin) and sewed for the house,etc. So now I SHOULD have more time for me. Seems DH has gotten more "needy" since he retired. The other day he called from his recliner in the living room to me in the kitchen "I'm very thirsty." A friend visiting said to him "Have you forgotten where the refrigerator is?" We laughed but DH didn't. The friend later said his wife would not have brought him a drink. My children and their spouses do not wait on DH when we visit and tell me I should not either. Best advice is from a friend whose husband is a model railroader. When he can spend hours and hours on his hobby, she spends time on hers. Wish me luck with getting help vacuuming, trash, cleaning, etc. Yep...more forceful from now on! (I may need boosts from you sometimes, okay?)
Tough love Lena! Stand strong! And report back to us how it is going. We will give you pep talks.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Lena, we'll be happy to help! Just a tip - the rule at my house has always been no one sits until everything is done. That way no one is working while other people are relaxing and everything gets done more quickly. You can borrow my rule - free of charge!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 AM

Some times you just have to take '''ME''' time shut the door put a do not disturb sign on the knob. Seriously the dirty dishes will be there when ever you get to them. Its not like anyone else can turn on the spigot. My old do not disturb sign said--If your knocking the house must be on fire!!! My sewing room was were I could wind down after work and household chores were done so when I finally got to bed I was relaxed and sleep came easy.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:02 AM
Swap Hosts

Like anything that you need to / want to do ... make an appointment with yourself. Schedule time, even if it's only an hour. And be sure you keep that appointment. Let hubby know that you have an appointment so he doesn't come looking for you!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 AM

Turn off the computer
Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 PM

I literally have to leave the house. I thought once I took sewing lessons, I'd be OK on my own and not have to keep it up. Now I attend a sewing circle with the same ladies, because I don't make the time otherwise. I think it's the same as having a "gym: in your house, vs a gym membership. Too many distractions otherwise. I find at home I'm too distracted, sometimes the Internet (and QB), I work from home, so that's always hard to compartmentalize, and then sometimes I find I spend a lot of time getting ready to sew (not just laying fabric out, but sometimes trying to make my work space better, etc). Then after all that work getting things organized, I pack a bag and go to the sewing circle.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

My time to sew did not come until I retired.....I know how you feel...Hang in there...time will come...
Old 03-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

On my days off I know what chores that need to be done and after that the day is spent in the sewing room. Good luck, hope you get more sewing time.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:25 PM

Ditto, IrishNY!