Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you find time to sew? >

How do you find time to sew?

How do you find time to sew?

Old 03-24-2013, 08:56 PM

I agree that if you still work and your husband is at home he can surely help out around the house so you have some free time. Try to work with him to show him how to do some of the tasks he can handle while you are working. My husband will help cook but other than that he isn't interested in the rest. That's ok by me because I figure if he can sit and read, play on the computer, and do other non-household chores, so can I, and I do. Sometimes I am in my sewing room all day long. I do the cleaning, wash, and bookwork and lots of other things for the house and figure that if I want to sew all day, I will. When people call and ask for me, he tells them I am up in the bat cave. I think you allow people to treat you the way you do and if you don't express your own opinion you will become resentful. I used to do it all and now is my time as well. My house may not be as clean as it used to be, but no one has turned me in to the "cleaning police."
Old 03-25-2013, 06:50 AM

I agree with Quiltstringz. I work full-time and my DH is retired. He's great about helping around the house, even does some wash and cooking. I usually try to sew at least 1 hour in the evenings. Helps me relax.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:12 AM

Interestingly, Sewing Daily posted on their blog last week about the same thing. Lots of suggestions in the comments
http://www.sewdaily.com/blogs/sewdai...spx?a=qr130323
Old 03-28-2013, 01:00 PM

When I was still working I'd get up a 1/2 hour earlier than I needed to and used that time to sew before I went to work.
Sharon
Old 03-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
I know I am from another generation but I would be darned if my retired husband required maintenance while I was working full time. It should be the other way around. My solution would be to give him a list and tell him that he has the time to take on more at the house. You deserve some down time and he should be happy to make sure you get it.
I live by the creed that no one takes advantage of us unless we let them.
What she said!!!! You need to take the time to do what gives you relaxation and joy.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 PM

I agree with many others that say you have to just put the sewing first. The household jobs will still be waiting for you when you get to them. Just 10-15 minutes a day working on a project can really add up and you will find it rewarding to make progress on your project. As far as your husband goes, I truly understand! I think they are more the "old school" men who grew up before all the sharing began. My husband is great about taking care of the house maintenance as in painting, repairs, mowing, auto repairs and oil changes, etc, but does not do domestic chores. I gave up trying to change him as it isn't worth the aggravation.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:43 PM

I should have added that we are both retired.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 PM

When I was in the same fix (more cooperative husband, working long hours, too) I got Nancy Zeimans (Nancy's Notions) book 10-15-20 Minutes to sew. She has wonderful creative tips for turning tiny amounts of stolen time in to productive sewing.

We would usually have a couple of glasses of wine with dinner (we liked to cook together) and I'd save my 2nd glass and hit my sewing room for just a few minutes. If you don't drink alcohol, take a cup of tea or coffee. Something to relax with. You'll be amazed at how much you can get done in even 5 minutes (or 1 minute) if your sewing is laid out and ready to sew.

I was travelling a lot on company business and needed a fine wardrobe. I made most of my clothes with mail order fabric and Vogue patterns, and had tons of compliments. And it was all thanks to that book.

Now I use what I learned for my quilting, anda manage to turn out many many quilts a year. I can no longer hand quilt, so that speeds things up a bit. LOL.

You can do it!! And we are always here for encouragement.

You can probably get Nancy's book at the library, and she still sells it.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 PM

My husband and I are retired, the kids all moved out and have lives of their own.

Now you would think we had all the time in the world to get things done........NOT!!......LOL
We joke that we are just as busy before retirement and having the kids at home. We do share a lot of time together working on projects. Today he worked on the front gates while I did some sanding and painting of some blocks for a project I am doing. He even went to the neighbors down the road to help move some logs with the tractor.

After dinner, we sat down to watch some TV. I remember seeing Alaskan cops chasing someone down, then when I woke up aliens were chasing Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig in the New Mexico desert. ...LOL