Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs? >

How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs?

How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs?

Old 03-12-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
If you have a Home Depot, they take them for recycling.

tips from US EPA board: http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflrecycling.html

Ace Hardware, Home Depot, IKEA, Lowe's, Orchard Supply and other retailers offer in-store recycling.

Some bulb manufacturers and other organizations sell pre-labeled recycling kits that allow you to mail used bulbs to recycling centers. The cost of each kit includes shipping charges to the recycling center.
Look where these bulds are manufactured China.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:06 PM

I hadn't had pre migraine zigzags for a long time, till I sat in my sister's dining room recently. Within minutes I was having visual symptoms. It happened two days in a row before I thought to look up at her chandelier and see those CFL bulbs. I hope that there will be leeway for those with a medical excuse for not using them. (Next time I went to visit sis, they were gone, no one in her house liked them!)
Old 03-12-2011, 06:34 PM

I use the curlies with no problem. Have not had one burn out yet. I also have the regular fluorescent tubes in several areas.

i think everyone goes by a hardware store at least once a year. Just save up your no-good bulbs and recycle them once a year. No need to run down there every time one burns out.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:21 PM

I am so glad to see that I am not alone on this ridiculous safety idea we are being sold. I agree that we never worried about sticking an old fashioned thermometer in our mouth! And we also played with Mercury at School or anytime a thermometer was broken. Goodness! I bought one of these new fangled bulbs & hated the thing. Soooo I have been buying cases of reg bulbs at Home Depot, Lowe's , etc wherever I can find them. Something someday, I am sure might kill me, but until then I am sticking with some of my ways & sewing my tush off! Darn people wanting to make millions on the new bulbs. Kind of like Global Warming IMHO. Okay I will shut up for now.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by ergranny46
We were in a very large home improvement center (will not give name) about a year ago and a salesperson wanted me to buy the new bulbs. I asked her if they were going to recycle them for us because you could not put them in the landfill and she said she had never heard such a thing.

When the got rid of our mercury thermometers they also wanted to make neon lights illegal. They lost on the neon lights.

If you break one on these bulbs in the hospital, you have to call the biohazard team from housekeeping to do the clean up.

I wonder if they even think about the consequences of their actions when they pass all these crazy bills. They just trade one bad thing for another.
If you break one in your home you are supposed to call hazmat too! There are some websites that tell you the proper way to clean one up...not pretty!