Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs? >

How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs?

How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:23 AM

When we were younger didn't we put mercury on dime to make them look nice?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:05 AM

Yes, in biology class, for some reason, we always had a broken thermometer to use to get some mercury. we used used quarters if anyone had them and dimes and nickels. And in time they said there was mercury in the filling materials the dentist put in our teeth and they took out the fillings to keep up safe. Now if they find some mercury in a neighborhood, they shut down the school because mercury is dangerous. Please tell me how I and my friends have lived so long...77 and 80 years , and we held that mercury in our hands!

Some days I wonder what is safe and what is just the making of scare tactics.
sign me....getting old and wondering about a lot of things.
June in Cincinnati
Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by june6995
Yes, in biology class, for some reason, we always had a broken thermometer to use to get some mercury. we used used quarters if anyone had them and dimes and nickels. And in time they said there was mercury in the filling materials the dentist put in our teeth and they took out the fillings to keep up safe. Now if they find some mercury in a neighborhood, they shut down the school because mercury is dangerous. Please tell me how I and my friends have lived so long...77 and 80 years , and we held that mercury in our hands!

Some days I wonder what is safe and what is just the making of scare tactics.
sign me....getting old and wondering about a lot of things.
June in Cincinnati
That was almost a favorite pastime when I was in JR.High. Someone was always bringing in mercury to mess with. Yes, we put it on silver coins, and we also just rolled it around in our hands or desk. We rode bikes and skated without helmets and didn't have car seats to be strapped into either( but I do think carseats are a good idea!) I juisdt don"t think a person should be fined if they are holding a small child on their lap while riding in a car. If my grandchild is sick , needs to be fed a bottle, etc. I want to be able to hold them if necessary without getting a ticket.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:25 AM

I had a new one of those things smoking just now---and how can I see to sew with those dim lights--GRRRRRRRR!
Store had NO incandescent bulbs in stock the other day;! Just 40 W!
So we will all have to buy a couple hundred bulbs before 2012, then next they will be checking our homes for the "illegal" incandescent bulbs!
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 PM

It's called progress! It's always something we're supposed to do to improve the environment. How about stop exhaling? :-)
Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 PM

I heard that older homes, that have older wiring, will not be able to use these CFL bulbs like they are supposed to. They burn out faster, explode, burn/smoke. It's all another idiots stupid idea on how to save the environment. Some relative needed a job!

Get this...at huz's work, they build engines, had upper management people do this project where they were to figure out ways to save the company money. Those that did got a big bonus. One came up with getting rid of ALL papertowels/napkins. So the slobs mess all over the toilet seats & there's nothing to wipe them off with but super thin TP. If you need to wash grease/etc off your face you can use the air drier to blow dry your skin off your face! No papertowels/napkins in the cafeteria either. Guess you're supposed to go to the restroom & use the air driers. Long story short my Huz thru a fit & they brought back the paper products.

The UK got hit with these CFL bulbs before we did. Many complain of lack of light, eye strain, headaches, etc. Not to mention the bio-hazard issue. A majority of recycled items, esp electronics, goes over seas, where it's burned on the ground, runs into the water supply, air, makes people sick. What goes around comes around. The Earth is round. It'll eventually come back to us.

I've bought up several different sizes of incandescent bulbs, but need to get more. If you have none in your area look on line. You can still get them by the case.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:32 PM

Home Depot & Lowe's , maybe even Ace hardware will have a recycle bin. we've been using them for about 4 years now, I'm glad the cost is coming down, and I like the fact that someone finally designed a round one, I had a couple lamps that the spirals didn't fit in.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Kas

And you can't use them in dimmers.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:57 PM

Our house was wired in the 50s--maybe that is why mine was smoking---- will not use any more--have tried several times!
going to stock up on the others tomorrow--if they have any!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:35 PM

We have allot of the original knob & tube wiring from when our house was built in 1914 yet!

I have a pole light I use in my sewing room that takes 3 bulbs. I put the CFL brights in & one takes a long time to reach full brightness.