Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to get rid of a pesky mosquito?

Well, Spring is definitely here. It got warm enough to throw the covers off last night and I woke up with about 30 mosquito bites! We have screens on the windows so I can only guess that the little buggar got in through an open door during the day. Any suggestion as to how to get rid of it? I haven't spotted her yet or it would be taken care of. I suggested to DH that we burn a citronella candle in the bedroom but he didn't think that sounded like a good idea. (I think he is concerned about breathing in chemicals as we sleep) Any other suggestions? Ann in TN

Blog Entries
    I use a lightweight sheet to cover up. If you don't want any covers at all, then a mosquito net (hanging from the ceiling and enclosing the bed) would work.

I also wouldn't want to breathe in citronella all night long. (Plus you don't want a candle burning in the house while you sleep!)

Blog Entries
    What about using a Bounce sheet? Supposed to repel if you even put one in your pocket.

Those sticky tape things that you hang to get flies?

Thanks for reminding me about that, I had forgotten. Hope Downy sheets work, that's all I have.
    It isn't that I don't want sheets, I am menopausal. I start out with blankets and a nightgown and somewhere in the middle of the night they just magically disappear. It is blankets on, blankets off, thrash, roll, kick, you probably know the drill. My DH says I get more exercise when I am sleeping than when I am awake. I tell him I wouldn't exactly call it sleeping. None the less the mosquito is appreciative. Ann in TN

How about a mosquito net?

Blog Entries
    I don't have any skeeters inside, but out in the back yard, I put a dryer sheet hanging from a back pocket, and then safety pin one on the top of each sleeve. They don't bother me then. Only time they do bother me is the rare time they get inside and come crawling around in my ears singing soprano in some language I don't want to learn.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    Want to borrow one of my dragons? :) no mosquitoes here, my dragon's eat them if they get near LOL

Thanks, but that would create more problems than I already have. I would be sleeping either in the front room or alone in the bed if I had one of those running around the house. DH and I lived in Phoenix, AZ for 22 years. We had scorpions in the house there. Compared to a scorpion bite these mosquito bites are nothing. Could have used him in Phoenix but he would probably have spit them out. One of the many reasons we live in TN now. Ann in TN

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    :) My "little guy" in my avatar helps me quilt... he guards it to make sure nothing gets out of place while I free-motion. He usually tastes my thread, for some weird reason too... he likes the red and orange spools LOL... they are sweet, like to cuddle and don't bite, they actually like to snuggle like a kitten.

My uncle is in Phoenix ~ he was telling me how Black Widows took over his van when it broke down. Sent a major chill down my spine, I can't do spiders!!!

Blog Entries
    Dont forget to check out side for any standing water. In flower pots, fur baby dishes, bird baths, etc.

use Off spray. I sprayed Off on my dog and it kept the fleas off of him for 2 days. lol

I wait until nighttime and then turn off the lights in the house except for the bathroom. After a while, I enter the bathroom, shut the door and then begin my search for the mosquito. Usually works that the mosquito is drawn to the light in that room.

If you got 30 bites from a mosquito, odds are that the mosquito has OD'd on your blood and has bit the dust.

Actually, I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. Is there any chance that mosquitos are like fruit flies and like the smell of citrus? I read from someone on this board to put out a small cup of water mixed with citrus smelling dishwashing soap, and the fruit flies will drown. This is the best hint I've gotten in a heck of a long time! We're working on the third generation, so should be all eliminated soon.

Sounds more like a spider to me.

Ann in Tn...I have heard if you spray with Listerine mouth wash, it will keep the mosquitos away. Just put some Listerine in a spray bottle and spray around your bed, a little on your linens, don;t think it will stain anything. hope this helps...betty jo in Tn

I have a fan blowing over me - the wind power blows so hard it can't get to me and it helps with the night sweats.

j
    This may sound odd, but could they be bedbugs. I have never heard of that many bites at one time. Bedbugs are easily transported now a days. - J.

Blog Entries
    Listerine works wonders, put it in a spray bottle and spray yourself or whatever. My cousin in Mississippi swears by this.

Blog Entries
    Melalueca, the wellness company, has a oil spray that prevents the bites...and heals when bitten!

Bedbugs? Actually I thought about that but thankfully not. I checked for signs but DH says if it was bed bugs it wouldn't be confined to only me or be only on my left arm and under my neck. I placed dryer sheets under my sheets and in my pillow case last night and no new bits. Will also try the Listerine spray. Maybe I will at least force it over the his side of the bed.
    Thanks for all the good tips. Ann in TN

Blog Entries
    Just received an email forwarded from a friend. The email suggested spraying around the area you are in with Listerine. Supposedly works for hours. Haven't tried it myself. Today we are having snow showers, not mosquitoes yet.

Blog Entries
    Outdoors, plant BASIL...they hate it says Jerry Baker!

Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird
    , I am menopausal. I start out with blankets and a nightgown and somewhere in the middle of the night they just magically disappear. Ann in TN
    went thru that and my dear MIL told me her "secret" was when she got hot, hang one nude leg over the edge of the bed at the knee, so it hangs the the floor at a 45 degee angle. It seemed to work. Also, I slept nude - easy enough to cover up. Dont know why, but it never was so bad as I expected it to be. sharet

I live in a rural swampy alligator infested area in Florida and there are lots of skeeters. If you don't want a dragon to eat the pests I guess you wouldn't consider keeping a bat in your bedroom? LOL.
    Mosquitoes are drawn to the CO2 released during respiration so the relentless little buggers can always find us. If you have to keep your windows open I'd suggest some netting... I don't know how the dryer sheets work as I've never used them (sensitive to perfumes). Also check for standing water around your home. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast