Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to get rid of a pesky mosquito? >

How to get rid of a pesky mosquito?

How to get rid of a pesky mosquito?

Old 04-23-2011, 06:55 AM

Bedbugs? Actually I thought about that but thankfully not. I checked for signs but DH says if it was bed bugs it wouldn't be confined to only me or be only on my left arm and under my neck. I placed dryer sheets under my sheets and in my pillow case last night and no new bits. Will also try the Listerine spray. Maybe I will at least force it over the his side of the bed.
Thanks for all the good tips. Ann in TN
Old 04-23-2011, 07:04 AM

Just received an email forwarded from a friend. The email suggested spraying around the area you are in with Listerine. Supposedly works for hours. Haven't tried it myself. Today we are having snow showers, not mosquitoes yet.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:17 AM

Outdoors, plant BASIL...they hate it says Jerry Baker!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
, I am menopausal. I start out with blankets and a nightgown and somewhere in the middle of the night they just magically disappear. Ann in TN
went thru that and my dear MIL told me her "secret" was when she got hot, hang one nude leg over the edge of the bed at the knee, so it hangs the the floor at a 45 degee angle. It seemed to work. Also, I slept nude - easy enough to cover up. Dont know why, but it never was so bad as I expected it to be. sharet
Old 04-23-2011, 08:13 AM

I live in a rural swampy alligator infested area in Florida and there are lots of skeeters. If you don't want a dragon to eat the pests I guess you wouldn't consider keeping a bat in your bedroom? LOL.
Mosquitoes are drawn to the CO2 released during respiration so the relentless little buggers can always find us. If you have to keep your windows open I'd suggest some netting... I don't know how the dryer sheets work as I've never used them (sensitive to perfumes). Also check for standing water around your home. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
use Off spray. I sprayed Off on my dog and it kept the fleas off of him for 2 days. lol
Well, there is an idea.

Thread, where did you get those cutie horsies (?) in your Avatar. Must have. lol
Old 04-23-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Thanks for reminding me about that, I had forgotten. Hope Downy sheets work, that's all I have.
It isn't that I don't want sheets, I am menopausal. I start out with blankets and a nightgown and somewhere in the middle of the night they just magically disappear. It is blankets on, blankets off, thrash, roll, kick, you probably know the drill. My DH says I get more exercise when I am sleeping than when I am awake. I tell him I wouldn't exactly call it sleeping. None the less the mosquito is appreciative. Ann in TN
OOOOH YES I CAN RELATE MOSTLY THE MAGICALLY DISAPPEAR PART, DON'T HAVE MANY MOSQUITO SO FAR EVEN IF IT IS FL. JUST KEEP KICKING THEM COVER OFF THEN ON redbug in fl.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
Want to borrow one of my dragons? :) no mosquitoes here, my dragon's eat them if they get near LOL
I thought that was a picture of a toy.LOL
Old 04-23-2011, 12:21 PM

the bounce sheets worked for me. when a cook up at a boyscout camp one summer the head chef would'nt listen was eaten up by them i wasn't touched.i wore them in my waist band and rub them on my arms to be sure or in the cuffs of my sweater. maybe let some hang between your mattress and box springs or tie a few on the headbord
Old 04-23-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I don't have any skeeters inside, but out in the back yard, I put a dryer sheet hanging from a back pocket, and then safety pin one on the top of each sleeve. They don't bother me then. Only time they do bother me is the rare time they get inside and come crawling around in my ears singing soprano in some language I don't want to learn.
Just wait until you get to be 81 because I can not hear them any more! LOL!