Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to get rid of a pesky mosquito? >

How to get rid of a pesky mosquito?

How to get rid of a pesky mosquito?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle
I live in a rural swampy alligator infested area in Florida and there are lots of skeeters. If you don't want a dragon to eat the pests I guess you wouldn't consider keeping a bat in your bedroom? LOL.
Mosquitoes are drawn to the CO2 released during respiration so the relentless little buggers can always find us. If you have to keep your windows open I'd suggest some netting... I don't know how the dryer sheets work as I've never used them (sensitive to perfumes). Also check for standing water around your home. Good luck!
They will breed in a toilet tank. Put one of those cleaner things in it.
Do you have screen doors? They help and can be wiped with damp dryer sheets, to transfer the repelling scent.
also rub the dryer sheets over the outside of the screens and tape any cracks around them shut with clear shipping tape. Hope this helps too!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by j
This may sound odd, but could they be bedbugs. I have never heard of that many bites at one time. Bedbugs are easily transported now a days. - J.
Bedbugs leave a two hole bite. Mosquitos leave a one hole bite. You have never met a the black ones from TX, they are experts at swarming thickly and instantly!
By the way. the dragonflies here gobble them up!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:58 PM

If you don't mind skin so soft take a bath before bed and use it. Excellent repellent. It also smells nice along with softening your skin.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:09 PM

I have skin so soft! I use it outside for bug repellant but spray a diluted solution from a spray bottle. I will have to keep it in the shower area and spray after a shower. I don't use the bath tub because of bad hip issues. Concerned about falling.
Ann in TN
Old 04-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Noah should have swatted them while he had the chance!
Old 04-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Avon skin so soft. We use it at home and when we go out on the boat.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:11 PM

I'm in middle east Tennessee and today is our first day of spring. No problem with mosquitoes yet. We were cutting cantaloupes from the garden last year and black widow spiders were under all of them. No cantaloupes this year!
Old 04-23-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Well, Spring is definitely here. It got warm enough to throw the covers off last night and I woke up with about 30 mosquito bites! We have screens on the windows so I can only guess that the little buggar got in through an open door during the day. Any suggestion as to how to get rid of it? I haven't spotted her yet or it would be taken care of. I suggested to DH that we burn a citronella candle in the bedroom but he didn't think that sounded like a good idea. (I think he is concerned about breathing in chemicals as we sleep) Any other suggestions? Ann in TN
\\\

Put a dryer sheet in your bed, pin to the pillow or to your nightie, etc. They claim it keeps them away. I haven't tried it--just what I read in an article on the uses of dryer sheets. Hope it works. Marge L.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Well, Spring is definitely here. It got warm enough to throw the covers off last night and I woke up with about 30 mosquito bites! We have screens on the windows so I can only guess that the little buggar got in through an open door during the day. Any suggestion as to how to get rid of it? I haven't spotted her yet or it would be taken care of. I suggested to DH that we burn a citronella candle in the bedroom but he didn't think that sounded like a good idea. (I think he is concerned about breathing in chemicals as we sleep) Any other suggestions? Ann in TN
\\\

Put a dryer sheet in your bed, pin to the pillow or to your nightie, etc. They claim it keeps them away. I haven't tried it--just what I read in an article on the uses of dryer sheets. Anythhing is worth a try when it comes to fighting those pesky things. Hope it works. Marge L.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:50 PM

LEMON JOY IN SMALL BOWL W/WATER IS SUPPOSED TO DRIVE THEM AWAY