Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How good a housekeeper are you? >

How good a housekeeper are you?

How good a housekeeper are you?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:43 AM

Years ago my mother went to a funeral and over heard two ladies commenting on the deceased. They said "She was a wonderful housekeeper". On that note my mother voweled that they would have to come up with something better than that at her passing. And now the apple doesn't fall from the tree.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 AM

Like the old joke, you could eat off my floor -- there's so much stuff on it.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:09 AM

it's my home. i live there. it is not a showcase for stuff that other folks like looking at. it is clean enough to be healthy, messy enough to be happy. and even if you could eat off the floor in a house, would you want to?? i got stuff to do, kiddies. i work full time, have a hubby who is retired/has parkinson's. he does nothing when it comes to the house. when i get a day off, does anybody really think i want to spend it buffing furniture? my ultimate goal is to eventually get it cleared out enough that my kids won't have to burn it down and start over. or maybe i should just provide kindling and matches in my will...
Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 AM

My last job was cleaning houses so I KNOW how to do it and do it good, but I hate doing it now and don't do it often. One thing I like to point out is "Dust is a protective cover on your furniture and it should not be removed."
I'd say make a list and each day just do a little so you don't get over whemed. good luck.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:51 AM

On Monday mornings I get up and start washing clothes and cleaning house. I vacumm and dust and do some deeper cleaning once in a while. With that out of the way on Monday, I have the rest of the week to sew and do the things I want to do and the house is clean and if it gets dirty in between, so be it. If you keep up on the clutter everyday your house always looks clean.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 AM

If you have come to see me-welcome-if you have come to see my house-go away!!
3 dogs, 4 cats, 1 DH and 1 lazy wife-me!!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by CharlotteO View Post
if you are coming to see me, come anytime, if you are coming to see my house, make an appointment!!!
Love this quote! I've always said if they're coming to see me--fine. If they're coming to see my house, they will probably be disappointed. I'm bad. I'm afraid I don't even notice it needs cleaning til I know someone's coming over. Then I look at it with "new eyes" and say, "Yikes, I better get busy!"
Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 AM

I tell people that if they are coming to see me to come anytime but, if they are coming to see the house, make an appointment
Old 04-08-2012, 12:36 PM

Flylady.com has lots of wonderful ideas for getting rid of clutter and organizing yourself to keep your house clean. My CHAOS (Can't have anyone over syndrome) has certainly been helped by following Flylady's system.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Glenda m View Post
I'm with ZaZa. Everytime I get a divorce, I keep the house. Just kidding. LOL I don't really worry about it until the DH says something, then it's get busy and clean. Maybe we should get together and clean each others houses. Kind of like a shop hop, but with cleaning thrown in.
I remember reading an article about a group of friends-I think it was 3 to 5- they took turns and one day a week they all went to the person's house whose turn it was and spend a set amount of time cleaning I think it was 2-3 hours. So say it was five friends, and 2 hours, every 5 weeks you woulld get 10 hours of "cleaning service". For those of us who have full time jobs it might be hard to fit this in.