Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How good a housekeeper are you? >

How good a housekeeper are you?

How good a housekeeper are you?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 AM

I have a company come in once a month to do the heavy stuff. I can usually keep it nice to look at in between their cleaning if you don't look too closely.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:36 AM

I am a cleaning freak. I like everything in its place. I cannot stand dust or dirty floors or dishes. When I leave for the office in the mornings my house is cleaned up and beds are made. I don't like coming home to a messy house. That is the way I was brought up.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Once a year, in September we have to pay our town real estate tax. I always go in and bring the check and say, "ok, that's my housekeeping for the year. Now I can keep my house for another year!" But seriously, I agree with those who say a house should be clean enough to be healthy, and messy enough to be enjoyed.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:22 AM

My daughter and her new husband visited. They stayed in a little appt. we have and had bathroom, kitchen and bedroom all to themselves. I decided to turn the appt. into my sewing space. I made my old sewing room into a bedroom, where I keep some odds n ends. They came to visit again and had to stay in the extra bedroom. I thought that sence he wasn't working it would save them getting a motel. Later my other daughter told me that first daughter phoned her to ask if they could stay at her house cause moms house was so messy. I know it was him complaining is why Becky called her sister and asked to stay at her house. From now on they can just get a motel cause if he can't stand a bit of clutter in lieu of $65 for a motel then tuff you know what! It never bothers my daughter when she comes by herself. I will probably never have a clean uncluttered house. Like some of you others, my house was cleaner when I worked a 40 hr week.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM

I retired in Nov and then went down south for the winter. Now when I get back home my cleaning lady will be back every two weeks. I said I would give up other stuff but not my cleaning lady.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:59 AM

Love all the stories so far...

I heard you need to keep a couple of "GET WELL SOON" cards on your table so if someone came in they'd think you'd been ill and overlook any clutter...

If that was the case, I would have been sick for quite a while for them to over look it.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:26 PM

my dust bunnies long ago decided to form a rabbit warren ...
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM

I also was a better housekeeper when I was working (but never what you would call a 'good housekeeper'). Now that I am retired I want to do things that I want to do and cleaning is not at the top of the list. I do know that when you 'simplify your life' by getting rid of knicknacks, old paperwork, seldom worn clothing and things hiding in your cupboard that you never or seldom use. Then.....Life is Good.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:07 PM

I was a decent housecleaner when my children were little. Now that it is just my husband and me, I have been a slack. I work full time as well as go to school full time and I really have very little spare time. Any spare time I have right now is better spent with my "therapist" making something that eases any stress. I'm just glad my hubby is understanding and helps out a lot with laundry. Otherwise we may have to wear questionable unmentionables. LOL
Old 04-09-2012, 02:40 PM

I have severe asthma and allergies so my house needs to be cleaned at least weekly. However, my husband is a hoarder!! The main living areas are fine, clean but lived in. The basement is a wreck. We have a good size basement considering our house is about 70 years old. I've known my husband 14 years. During that time he has hired about six dumpsters to have junk removed from the basement. I keep getting after him to clean the basement and he says he needs another dumpster!! In the time I've known him I have seen the bottom of his closet twice. We talk about moving to a patio home but I know he has no clue how clean the house has to be for a showing.

If he dies before I do I will call 1-800-GOT-JUNK to remove everything out of the basement!