Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How long do home canned vegetables last?

Green beans are absolutely the worst vegetable for holding botulism. If the lid is the least bit bulged, or appears to have leaked even a few drops, dump it. It isn't worth the Dr bills and pain you will put yourselves through. As we get a little older our immune systems cannot fight those things as well as they used to. It just isn't worth the risk. Can some more

Blog Entries
    I know my mom canned pickles one year ~ we had like 65 quarts of pickles. We ate those for several years afterwards and all survived. We also ate jams and jellies that were homemade for several years after they were canned. It was survival choices but we all survived.

However: if in doubt, throw it out.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    I used to can a lot, with green beans you have to pressure cook them and should be ok, I have had some of ours for years. Also canned applesauce and still have some, I use them for my applesauce cakes, more flavor than store canned applesauce. we canned other things also, but now it is just mostly the two of use. Also we have canned spac. Sauce with out the meat, as long as the top are sealed well and I agree with the smell they should be ok. If you are afraid of it, open the jars and dump what is in it. You can always reuse the jars, with new lids of course.
    Nancy. . . Alameda, Ca.

Smell them.Then boil 20 min. I have green beans I canned in 06 and they are fine.
    I have a recipe I made up that we love.2 jars of green beans,1 can mixed vegetables.
    mix 1 can cheddar cheese soup,1 can cream of chicken soup, 1/2 can French's onions,1/2 envelope onion soup mix.
    mix with vegetables.Top with rest of onions.
    My version of green bean casserole.Bake in casserole dish 1/2 hour -45 min.

I forgot 3/4 can of water mix with the soups.Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Blog Entries
    We have had veggies and canned Peaches for 3-4 yrs., and they were fine. The Tomatoes are the ones I would be most afraid of going "bad." They have a very high acid content and that contributes to spoiling faster than others. I agree; the look, smell test should give a good answer. A good seal on home canned foods is so important. Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Power Poster
    As long as they are sealed they are good..Be sure to boil them for 10 minutes when cooking them..That will ensure safety...

Quote Originally Posted by BCM View Post
    I suggest checking with your local county Home Extension Agency. They should have information and data to answer any questions.
    I agree. It's important to know that some organisms leave a toxin that is still there after boiling! I know it goes against the grain to waste food, but it not worth a risk to your health and safety. Still, if anyone would have good basic guidelines about home canned goods, it would be the extension agent. There is probably a website. Here's an article on Web MD about food toxins in general, but it doesn't have any time estimates for canned goods: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/fo...isoning-basics
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

My MIL used to can. She found some tomatoes that were quite old so she opened them and made tomato juice then gave it all to me. It got poured down the drain when I found out what she had done!! (She never did like me. :0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2