Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to make Scant Quarter Inch on home machine

Blog Entries

How to make Scant Quarter Inch on home machine

Making flying geese and need to know how to make a scant quarter inch....Help‼️

Just sew a thread or two shy of the seam. Or if you can move your needle position do so a bit to the right

I found a scant-quarter-inch foot for my Featherweight, and as if by magic, my flying geese have been coming out [nearly] perfect. I found it on a video from The Featherweight Shop that compared 4 different 1/4" feet, including "accurate" and "scant" sizes. The foot has a bumper on the side. Just bump the edge of the seam against it to get a perfect scant 1/4". No eyeballing, no thread-counting. Now I'm going to look for one for my bigger machine.

Quote Originally Posted by nuevaquilter View Post
    I found a scant-quarter-inch foot for my Featherweight, and as if by magic, my flying geese have been coming out [nearly] perfect. I found it on a video from The Featherweight Shop that compared 4 different 1/4" feet, including "accurate" and "scant" sizes. The foot has a bumper on the side. Just bump the edge of the seam against it to get a perfect scant 1/4". No eyeballing, no thread-counting. Now I'm going to look for one for my bigger machine.
    good info !

Bonnie Hunter uses seam guides on her machines. She makes her own from old credit cards. Here is a link to one of her blog posts on the subject. https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012...-saturday.html
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

Blog Entries
    I found a 1/4 inch foot at the thrift store to fit my older machine. My DH put it on his grinder and made a scant 1/4 inch foot for me. Yeah it works after he polished it.
    True4uca

I bought one at my local quilt shop. Check yours out, seems they all carry them. Good luck.

I use this method and don't have to worry about a scant seam. Of course, a ruler is involved but I like this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WElW8sqkuw

Another method.

https://www.generations-quilt-patter...lt-blocks.html