How many have a garden?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:02 PM

Due to our physical limitations (age) we have a very small
vegetable garden. 4 or 5 tomato plants and 3 or 4 bell
peppers. We do have a nice strawberry bed, some raspberries
and blackberries. A real nice pear tree and I usually can
50 to 60 quarts. A friend gives us a lot of apples, so I
prepare them for pies...about a dozen bags, and make a lot
of applesauce, and applebutter. That's about my limit, ha.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:17 PM

when i was a kid in western mi, both grandmothers had huge (1+ acre) kitchen gardens... so every am, we had to weed somewhere.. i swore i would never plant a thing in the dirt... somewhere along the line, i discovered i really like playing in the dirt...i have a lot of perennial beds.. not too much in the veggie dept because we get a lot of deer & my personal archenemy - woodchucks... they eat EVERYTHING!!

waiting for dh to finish the drystack stonewall in the front of the barn, so we can move his rock stash... it is in an area that can be easily fenced in...then i will be building some raised beds & using the square foot gardening system...

spring 2012...that will be a good year @ my house for veggies!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 PM

I wish I could, but I have a "black thumb"...really! People know not to give me plants as a gift because I will kill them. I have the best of intentions, but I guess I'm better at raising kids than vegetables! I used to say it was because I lived in the mountains, and there's not enough sun...or too much...whatever,but then I lived on the Northern Ca coast near Oregon, where you have to stand back out of the way after you plant something because things grow so well, and I still managed to kill anything I planted!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:35 PM

I garden, and have for years. For the last three springs we haven't had a large garden because we lost our tiller in a fire, in fact lost everything we owned except our car. :-( So, we have started small with just tomato plants, cucumbers in the flower beds, squash or two, and of course my number one love, herbs. My husband does most of the gardening, and I do the canning. I freeze only if I have to because I love looking at the canning jars, and showing them off. Somehow it's not the same when you open your freezer to look at the frozen stuff. I dry my herbs and use them all year long, and make herbal vinegar too. I use the vinegars for gifts. And use the herbs in soap and toiletries.

you know, it seems like anything 'fun' becomes addictive. I have to limit myself on what I want to try next because I just know it will totally consume me.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 PM

My DH plants a huge vegetable garden every year. He loves gardening, its nice that he has a hobby.

corn and anaheim peppers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]120033[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-120028.jpe  
Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Banned

yes, but I do not support Monsanto owned companies and only use Heirloom seeds and do it all organic!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:43 PM

I too love gardening! I am so anxious for spring after the long cold winter. My DH and I grow potatoes, corn, tomatoes, zucchini green beans, asparagus, okra, cucumbers, lettuce. and last year we raised our own popcorn (Japanese Hull-Less). The popcorn is delicious! I also can tomatoes, and salsa and I make several kinds of pickles and relish. At church I am known as the Pickle Lady.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:44 PM

Okay I must confess: In addition to being a fabric-o-holic <sigh> I am addicted to Gardening and canning .. Ya all caught me !LOL
I love my veggie gardens and done them for years, canned for over 30 years. Last year we moved into our new well new to us home, and I cannot wait to start a flower and rose garden as well as the veggie garden. Oh yeah and we do go to the farmer's market as well for some items I don't grow. DH loves to help with the gardens !
Old 03-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

Oh yes I love to have my hands in the soil! I also can and freeze veggies and put up jellies and jams. I love to make applebutter. But, I buy the fugi's for that from the farmer's market.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
yes, but I do not support Monsanto owned companies and only use Heirloom seeds and do it all organic!
We also do all organic and Heirloom seeds/plants from the local nursery.