How many have a garden?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 AM

[quote=Caroline S][quote=Jshep]
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Jshep
Love the pics of everyone's garden. Wish there were more.
Ask and ye shall receive. :lol:
Love it, love it, love it. Wish I was there.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:54 AM

I'm glad we have this topic going again. It is so nice to hear what other people grow and what they do with the results. Last year I had my first garden. Really enjoyed. Canned tomatoes, made salsa, canned poke salad, made pickled okra and put a lot of it in the freezer.

As someone said earlier, I think gardening and quilting go together. Maybe cooking too.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:41 PM

Have you tried floating row covers? My biggest problem here is slugs. The chickens patrol the fence surrounding the garden but if I let them in they would quickly destroy my raised beds. I guess every gardener has certain pest and climate problems to deal with.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:13 PM

I have quite a few Amaryllis bulbs - want some? n/c love to share. Even have some butterfly(papillio) let me know.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:15 PM

Could I supply you with some amaryllis bulbs??? n/c love to share
Old 03-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Caroline S
Have you tried floating row covers? My biggest problem here is slugs. The chickens patrol the fence surrounding the garden but if I let them in they would quickly destroy my raised beds. I guess every gardener has certain pest and climate problems to deal with.
do you get those giant banana slugs? We had those while I lived in Ketchikan, AK.worse than bears....
Old 03-02-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by thesnook
I have quite a few Amaryllis bulbs - want some? n/c love to share. Even have some butterfly(papillio) let me know.
This is a plant I don't know so I'm guessing it's also something out of my zone..of 4 1/2 to 5. LOL The papillio, I'm talking about. Amaryllis I have to grow as an annual or in a pot. But I love the plant. Southern gardeners can grow so many more things than we in the north can. But then you have so many more nasty creatures to deal with so I guess it's a fair trade. LOL. I can do without scorpions, tarantulas, chiggers and poisonous snakes in my gardens.
I helped my sister in Oklahoma build and plant an herb garden with stone borders and edgings and we were constantly on alert for those little critters.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 PM

Caroline S, have you tried adding your calendula petals to a salad? Be sure to pinch off the white tips as they are bitter, but then the petals add an interesting touch and make it look very pretty! My favorite are nasturtiams tho, as they add a nice peppery bite.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:54 PM

Thought I'd post a few more photos of my wildyard. I have a lot of shade so I rely a lot on foliage contrasts in my gardens. I collect rocks and there are containers of them all around plus some just laying by plants that go together with them.
In my sunny spots I love to grow old fashioned roses, many of which I have started from cuttings collected from old homesites and cemetaries.
I love daylillys too, and have many, many varieties of those as well.

spring flowers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]120323[/ATTACH]

foliage in my garden
[ATTACH=CONFIG]120342[/ATTACH]

I have lots of shade
[ATTACH=CONFIG]120343[/ATTACH]

my favorite iris
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121768[/ATTACH]

I have at least 12 to 15 varieties of hosta as well as of hucheras, I love both those plants.. a shade gardeners standby
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121769[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-120318.jpe   attachment-120337.jpe   attachment-120338.jpe   attachment-121763.jpe   attachment-121764.jpe  

Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wildyard
Thought I'd post a few more photos of my wildyard. I have a lot of shade so I rely a lot on foliage contrasts in my gardens. I collect rocks and there are containers of them all around plus some just laying by plants that go together with them.
In my sunny spots I love to grow old fashioned roses, many of which I have started from cuttings collected from old homesites and cemetaries.
just stunning, come help me with my mess down here in OK...where we battle the bugs, heat and high winds...