Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How many members live on the farm or ranch? >
  • How many members live on the farm or ranch?

• How many members live on the farm or ranch?

Old 03-26-2011, 10:42 AM

We live in the country. Over the years we have raised cattle, pigs and always horses.

We apparently are getting back into the cattle business but on a much smaller scale than before.

I just recently spent a night in town with my mom. It was miserable. Sometime during the night I posted to my facebook that I missed the silence of the country!

Oh, and don't forget the clean air :) Nothing better than country air after a rain or just whevever really.
    Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Airwick156
    No but my mom always asked me if I was born in a barn. Does that count?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Old 03-26-2011, 01:38 PM

Well, I was raised in very rural small town - when I married my hubby - we have always lived on acreage - lived on 80 acres (still own it) and off the grid with our own water, power, etc - never into the farming with animals but grew gardens etc. I love living away from town with room to roam - no streetlights and I know everyone that lives nearby I wouldn't want to live any other way.
    Old 03-26-2011, 02:18 PM
    Power Poster

When I was married I lived on a nice big farm, now I only have a house on 5 acres, but its out in the country, no other homes close by, and so peaceful! We have a bi garden, a small orchard, and I would love chickens and maybe some bees!
    Old 03-26-2011, 02:38 PM
    Power Poster

I was born and raised on a farm. Went to work in the city. Am married now and living in the town. Like where I am at. Children spent their holiday on the farm. Best of both worlds.
    Old 03-26-2011, 03:00 PM

I was raised on a self sufficient farm and now live on 17 acres in East TN.
    It is not silly to talk to cows. I have spent the last week talking to 3 bottle babies that I bought last Sat. One did not get to spend enough time with mom and is sick with a tummy virus. I am there in the barn every 4 hours or so feeding him a bottle of meds, glucose, or milk and telling him how big he is going to grow if he will just eat for me. I am just hoping he does not give up on me.
    Old 03-26-2011, 03:28 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mimito2
    I was raised on a self sufficient farm and now live on 17 acres in East TN.
    It is not silly to talk to cows. I have spent the last week talking to 3 bottle babies that I bought last Sat. One did not get to spend enough time with mom and is sick with a tummy virus. I am there in the barn every 4 hours or so feeding him a bottle of meds, glucose, or milk and telling him how big he is going to grow if he will just eat for me. I am just hoping he does not give up on me.
    I hope he makes it for you. A friend of ours lived in town(small town Iowa pop 400) and would bring lambs in from their farm sometimes to their house in town to bottle feed.I would go down to their basement and help bottle feed them.

We played among the cows the hogs and and never thought about any danger. I didn't know til I was an adult what a hog can do to a human. Noone told me. My kids rode the hogs back in the hoglot to the pond at my FILs farm. My two youngest BILs were 9 and 11 when they raised the hogs on the farm. They fed them and took care of them and had several of them that they would ride so they wouldn't have to walk back in the muck. They would take my kids back with them all the time. Until one day my FIL threw a corn cob to stop a fight between two sows and hit one between the eyes. She dropped on the spot. She went to the rendering yard the next day!

I loved walking back into the fields to bring up the cows for milking. My grandpa tried to teach me to milk but I have never had strong wrists and couldn't do it. When I was about 12 or so I used to spend time with our neighbors when my mom needed a babysitter. They sold milk so I helped bring up the cows and learned to put on the electric milkers.
    They had a big cow tank too that had goldfish in it. They get really big when they have room to grow. The goldfish would eat the scum in the tank and help to keep the water relatively clean.
    Old 03-26-2011, 03:35 PM

We live on 60 acres, have a 1/2 acre garden, and am down to 2 horses from 5. We have talked about having dairy goats but haven't gotten around to doing that. Both my husband and I hunt (I do birds, he hunts everything) so we have worked hard at establishing great habitat. Most of our food is raised by us or shot by us.
    Old 03-26-2011, 04:31 PM

We live on a farm and raise registered Angus cattle. Too much work if you ask me. DH says it keeps "him going" - doesn't want to stop and die in his recliner.
    Old 03-26-2011, 04:46 PM

I am a widow in my 70's and I still live alone on a farm. I have Angus also and two labs but do have to hire help at times. Would love to have chickens but we have too many varmints for them to survive. Even the buzzards swoop down and take them from an enclosure. I love living in the country eventho I can't garden as much as in the past, I still do plenty for me. I have raised beds and then grow lettuce and spinach in wash tubs.