Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many "snow - birds" are here? >

How many "snow - birds" are here?

How many "snow - birds" are here?

Old 01-23-2014, 05:17 AM

This will be our 13th year leaving the cold behind for the southern sunshine. We move to our son's home in Florida that he and his wife purchased for their retirement while they were honeymooning in Florida. They both still work up north so hubby and I graciously keep the sunshine home going throughout the winter months. This years , things also reversed themselves.they are residing in our home up north while we are tending to things in the south. We started coming from mid-January to March……..the length of time has greatly increased……mid-December until the first of May…..and 2014/15 is starting in late November…...
Old 01-23-2014, 05:38 AM

I'm in the 'wishing I was there' category. So very tired of winter. If (not quite to the when part yet) we ever get to that stage, it will have to be somewhere that DH has something to do so that he doesn't drive me nuts. Maybe he'll have to invest in a mobile woodworking shop
Old 01-23-2014, 05:55 AM

We are snowbirds and enjoy it here in Florida for the winter. We do have central heat, not sure why one would think that we don't. I grew up in snowy states and am glad we can be where it is warmer for winter. It has been cooler and more clouds this winter but still beats the snow.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:09 AM

up north you are so right I am from Wyoming and Montana all my life and winter has its very good points at least when the wind blows the snow it is clean we did try snow birding for a few years but when w the wind blows dust and you have to breathe that stuff I will take our good cold clean air any day I can handle cold much better than heat and humidity there is good and bad to every place but no place like HOME
Old 01-23-2014, 06:19 AM

I am a snow bird. Live in Ohio in the summer and Florida in the winter. Will move permanently to FL by the end of the year. We have been snow birds since retirement in 2009.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I am a heat bird. We fly to mountains by car and truck when it gets 95 to 100 here in AZ.
That's my problem. I would be afraid to leave my house buried in all the snow. With heat pumps, you have to not let get them buried in the snow. There is a house up the street for me that was empty last winer due to bank forclosure. It was supposedly "winterized", but the new owner (in the Spring) got notified that water was shut off due to a major leak somewhere. As nothing was showing in the house, the leak was underground.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally from NY spent two years on GUAM. Now live in Missouri. I like my 4 seasons.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:40 AM

Been snow birds for 15 years and love it. After 30 years in Alaska it is wonderful to be some place warm and sunny for the winter. We no longer call Alaska home, but still spend 2-3 months in the Arizona sun in the winter. We have wintered in Florida, Texas and Arizona and in each state I have met some wonderful quilters and developed some great friendships. Oh and the quilt shows around the country are an added bonus!!!! Never going to stop being a snow bird!!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:27 AM

I hate being away from home overnight, even to visit relatives in another part of Texas, so snowbirding is not for me. froggyintexas
Old 01-23-2014, 07:56 AM

I have often thought about moving to warmer climate, but my daughters and all my Grandchildren are here, and I would miss them terribly.