Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How Many of You Wear Aprons?  (I do!) >

How Many of You Wear Aprons? (I do!)

How Many of You Wear Aprons? (I do!)

Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 AM

Yes I love them.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:28 PM

I wear an apron whenever I am in the kitchen. I started the habit when I began helping in the kitchen as a teenager. I am happy that they seem to be coming back in style. I have one for every month and every holiday.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Always use a plastic/pvc one for cooking and washing my 7 dogs, like fabric ones but don't like the washing!!
Old 07-09-2011, 03:14 PM

My wife wears one every weekday, all day long, in the fabric shop. I wear one while I’m there too, but mine’s a heavy blue denim “cobbler’s style” and hers are what I would call a “smock style” that she makes out of her latest quilting cottons. The apron covers both front and back, with the sides open and held together with hook & loop on side straps. She has a whole “fleet” of them in different colors & prints to cover the seasons (including wheat harvest season and cotton harvest season). I only have two, but have some more of the same old heavy denim that came from a local jeans factory that closed years ago to make a couple more. They last a long time. It’s that good heavy denim that they used to make.

She wears a full-front “kitchen style” apron when she cuts my hair. I wear a cotton duck cape that she made years ago, when she first began cutting her guys’ hair. She cut her Dad’s, mine, and our two sons hair (until they got “too old” for home haircuts, of course). She’s been my barber for 36 years this coming August. Once a month, she trims up both my hair and my beard. During the Spring and Summer she cuts it out on the back patio, and we sweep the hair trimmings off of the patio onto the grass so the birds can have it for their nest building.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-09-2011, 04:57 PM

I have many of my great aunts aprons, some from feed sacks. I also seem to be a magnet for some old aprons, have several from the 50's and 60's I picked up here and there. Thewy just talked to me, what can I say. I am a sucker for fabric that talks to me.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR
Originally Posted by ShirlR
In a recent thread about what to give as a hostess gift, many of you suggested giving an apron. I l-o-v-e aprons and would not step into the kitchen without one, but I really don't know anyone who wears them except maybe us older folks, so I have hesitated making them for others, in spite of the great patterns that are out there right now. Comments, anyone?

I wear them. Hubby calls them a "bib". I recently sewed a retro apron that is pretty cute. I had to insert cloth to cover the chest area ---- where I tend to drop. I think if we ate the table we could avoid the whole thing.
I meant I tend to drop food in that area. Otherwise, I woulda said "droop". lol.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Nope - brings back bad memories from childhood.

Better yet, when I bake - I usually wear dark clothes so the flour shows up well. When I cook, I usually wear white, so the tomatosauce has somewhere to be featured. lol
Old 07-20-2011, 03:46 AM

Love them, wouldnt be without them,
think it comes from my Mum & my Gran.
Cheers.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:31 PM

I really need to make the one that I bought the kit, but I found this one post on another website. I am SO making this one.

This is an original dating to 1855-1859 from the The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233932.jpe  
Old 07-30-2011, 12:36 PM

I'm in my 30's and I always wear them when I'm cooking because I always seem to make a mess of myself when I don't. For my wedding shower my mom made me an apron for each month of the year and one extra for my husband. It was something her mother-in-law made for her for her wedding shower.