Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How to prove your love for your husband

How to prove your love for your husband

Now that he's stopped laughing about the fact that I actually sew, my husband has decided he needs to find ways to utilize this new skill of mine. He asked me to patch up five holey pairs of jeans that he's been holding onto way past the time they should've gone to Jean Heaven. I decided to prove my love for him and patch these holes. Thing is, they're not holes in the knees or thighs or anywhere easy. Nooooooo, these holes are all right by major seams. The back pocket, the belt loops, the crotch. I had a special needle for denim, but my machine still kept getting hung up, making these awful, loud, "UNNNNNNNHHHHH!" noises. Then I'd get as close as I could without hitting the seam, which meant that I ended up only sewing over the patch in spots, and not attaching it to the jeans.

As I was sewing, wedging all that material under the needle and into the throat plate. I was muttering to myself, "Never again, never again, never again."

I patched one hole - badly. It took an hour-and-a-half, and it was about the size of a 50-cent piece. 90 minutes away from my fun quilting, torturing myself with this dang patch because my husband can't let go of a pair of jeans. Little gaps, Frankenstein-looking zig-zag stitches, all over the place.

I decided from now on, I'm going to stop feeding his psychosis. I'll prove my love by buying him a pair of new jeans instead. I'm a quilter, not a seamstress.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

LOL!!!!! I'm going to try that on my hubby! He asks me to patch all kinds of things, no way!
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Sewing is supposed to be fun! And that WASN'T!
    Jenel Looney

lol.I spent a whole day patching jeans for my honey so they would last 1 more season of firewood,etc.they made it 2 years-but never again.they needed huge patches-like you said -we are quilters not menders
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Just the opposite here ... my husband will wander off to the bin with his torn and battered clothes and I'm trying to snatch them from him saying "But I can fix that!". I fixed his coat (inside pockets torn - easy job) several times. It finally went to coat heaven last year (25 years old!).

However ... I DON'T do blue jeans. Those suckers are evil.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I'm a really, really happy person... but I was not happy trying to patch these jeans. Took about an hour afterward before I suddenly burst out laughing and felt like myself again. I did such a bad job. I told him that in the future, I would be happy to patch knees for him. I can do that, no problem. But when the hole is on a seam, I'm not doing it. I did tell him I'd teach him how to thread the machine if he wants to try it, but I added, "If you try it once, you'll see how ridiculous this is, I promise." It's time to let them go.
    Jenel Looney

Blog Entries
    Have a friend at a resale store I visit that wants me to hem his jeans. Keep putting him off, don't even wanna tackle those evein though have found tutorials online on doing it and making it look professional. Just don't wanna tangle with shortening Jeans. Although, do have couple big boxes of jean legs and pockets that I am sewing up for little purses for our "Priceless Gift Toy Store" here in town where we give away all the toys we can gather and clean.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Power Poster
    ​I use my Singer treadle for hemming jeans but I do not patch them. The holes are always in an awkward spot or near the double seams as you mentioned.

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    I usually use iron on denim on the inside and then just zig zag or mend stitch the H E dbl L out of them..use matching thread and they don't look too terrible....Sons and now their sons are always bring me the most torn things they can find....unfortunatley they all beleive Mom (Grandma) can fix anything. Seams are terrible but if you use a large enough piece of iron on you can sew each side of seam and only catch the thick part occasionally. good luck

Blog Entries
    hey, show him how much you love him by making him a rag quilt out of them!!!!

Blog Entries
    Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage - a waste of talent.
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I once sewed the reflective tape on miner's bibs for my son with a tiny little Brother machine. I was actually holding the machine in my lap and wrenching the legs through the machine. It got done.....but only for a son. None of his miner friends need knock on my door!

They make iron-on denim? Dang, now I have to decide whether to tell DH that or pretend that I don't know. LOL
    Jenel Looney

Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
    Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage - a waste of talent.
    Love this!!!! LOL
    Jenel Looney

I am the lone outcast. I don't mind mending jeans. I even hem them, buying them as long as possible so to have patch material and use gold-ish thread. I just turn the wheel by hand in the tough going areas and sew either side of the belt loops. Now when the patches need patches??? Ya, he has asked. *sigh*

piney

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    "Hey look, would you ask Picasso to paint your garage door?"
    "You don't do _____, I don't do hems/buttons/waistbands/etc." Sweet smile. "Would you like a beer, Honey?"

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I would not mend any jeans nor anything else.
    I make quilts.
    There has to be better and easier ways to prove you love your Husband.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Senior Member janquilts'ncrochets's Avatar
    Gather up those old jeans & put a quilt together from them. You can find lots of ideas on the net.

My DIL asked me to patch a couple spots where her jeans had rubbed through in the inner thighs. I patched and noticed there were some other holes in the legs. I proceeded to fix all the holes and did the "matchy matchy" patches all over and thought they looked like designer jeans when I was finished. I gave them back to her and she cracked up....the holes in the legs "were supposed to be there" and she had bought them with holes in them. She agreed not to ask me to patch anything again.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Blog Entries
    When my oldest BIG boy was in high school they were wearing those big legged jeans. They had just come into fashion and weren't in his size. So I took his jeans and split the legs down the front and backs, added all different faded colors of old jean fabrics and made him several pairs of big legged jeans. I even added an extra hip pocket to the left thigh front above the knee. He loved that especially. And then everybody wanted jeans like them. He knew me well enough to say that wasn't going to happen! Now I wonder how I ever did that.
    I have a pair of DH's jeans that need some hem work by the machine now waiting on a "Round Tuit" I guess. I will do anything he wants though because this guy is the one who sends me back into fabric stores because I don't spend enough. The first time he did that, I had spent $200 and he made me go back until I had spent $500. We're both widowed from great first marriages so I got lucky TWICE. Heck yeah, I'll patch whatever he wants patched. . . but I do have to get to a good stopping place in my quilt piecing!
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Prove your love by cutting those jeans up and make him a quilt.
    Quote Originally Posted by JenelTX View Post
    I'm a really, really happy person... but I was not happy trying to patch these jeans. Took about an hour afterward before I suddenly burst out laughing and felt like myself again. I did such a bad job. I told him that in the future, I would be happy to patch knees for him. I can do that, no problem. But when the hole is on a seam, I'm not doing it. I did tell him I'd teach him how to thread the machine if he wants to try it, but I added, "If you try it once, you'll see how ridiculous this is, I promise." It's time to let them go.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    My husband comes up with a bunch of things he thinks I can patch also. I look at the items and sometimes a quick sew here and there will do it, but jeans are a whole other story! I tell him it's a sewing machine, not a miracle worker!
    She who dies with the most fabric didn't sew fast enough!

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    My husband will bring me many things to try and fix. I will look the item over and do it if it's possible/reasonable. Jeans are another story! I tell him it's a sewing machine, not a miracle worker!
    She who dies with the most fabric didn't sew fast enough!

I usually go to Goodwill and buy him different ones.He would rather I patch,but jeans with no holes is what he is after.So Goodwill gets that for him.Never again,will i spend a few days taking them apart then patching and then restitching them.If he even looks like he wants his pants patched I remind him he has to take them apart.The I patch and sew back together.He agrees to goodwill.Smart boy.I will put in a new zipper and he usually offers to unstitch.

Too funny. Agree, easier to buy him a pair of new jeans.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast