Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to stop the itch of chigger bites? >

How to stop the itch of chigger bites?

How to stop the itch of chigger bites?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:03 AM

Clear nail polish does do the trick. We have chiggers on our property and their bites are just awful.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 AM

Well, here is a tried and true Arkansas remedy. I have used this for over 20 years and have never found anything better for Chiggers! Take one bottle of rubbing alcohol add one bottle generic aspirin (100 count)and let aspirin dissolve or you can crush aspirin before adding. There will always be residue in bottle so shake well before each use. It will numb the areas and stop the itch. Just slather it on! Note: It will leave a white residue on the skin so don't wear black with it! LOL
Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Baby Teething Gel will stop the itch. It numbs the itch. Also the old Bactine Itch Relief worked on contact, it's formula has changed so it's not as good now. I grew up in the woods of AR. I know about chiggers! Every night during the summer we put a product called Germ Trol in our bath water. One bottle cap full. Our bath then wasn't a tub full of water. It killed the chiggers before the itch got bad. It was a Stanley Home product sold at home parties like Tupperware. Every house had a bottle of Germ Trol. The last newer bottle I saw of it, it wasn't the same at all.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
when i was on active duty, we'd spend weeks at a time in the woods. major league chigger time. i'd swallow two tablespoons of vinegar every morning. no chigger bites. not many mosquito or gnat bites, either.
good for the pets also,put a teaspoon or so in thier drinking water and they will be left alone
Old 06-10-2010, 10:39 AM

Thought Texas was the only place with chiggers. Use bleech on a paper towel and apply or if you have them all over put some bleech in your bath water (not alot) and soak. This seems to work for us when we're in texas and get them.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM

From Chigger Holler Farm: There are two things I use faithfully are CLEAR NAIL POLISH FOR CHIGGERS to smother those rotten little critters and Noxema to help itiching. I use the Noxema for sure with tick bites...believe me after moving from Seattle area I had no antibodies and was miserable til I tried the Noxema...it's the ONLY thing that eases the itching for me...use it liberally and frequently! (Can't miss the smell, but it's worth it! :) )
Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 AM

Whats a chigger bite?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:11 AM

Aren't you glad we live in California we don't have chiggers here. I only get the bites when I'm at our place in Texas. Don't know how to explain a chigger they are sort of flea like but the bites are 10x's worse than flea bites and they seem to really like areas around the waist and underware lines.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:15 AM

Thanks. I figured we didn't have them.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:28 AM

[quote=Katsie]Just was in the pasture and received a bunch of chigger bites. Is there a home remedy for this?[/qu

well I didn't see all of the answers but the ideal is to dig the litter booger out or smuther him. the best thing I have found is fingernail polish make sure it is totally dry and it will smuther and kill him in a matter of minuets. The only problem is he digs deeper tring to breathe but then he quits. ty taking a clorex bath is good to kill the ones that haven't started bitting yet. I go fishing alot.