Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How well do you discern shapes?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Well, it seems the test got us all thinking -- whether that was negative thinking or not. Just our interest in taking it shows us something about ourselves.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I scored in the top 4% also and did well with the colors. They also have another test with faded numbers toward the end and ask how many or what the last number is that you see. just let's us know how well we do/don't see.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmachin View Post
    I am really disappointed! I took the test and also came up top 4%. So my inquiring mind took it again and of course entered a lot of wrong answers....guess what....I again came up in the top 4%. hummmm!!!!????
    ...but it's on the internet and everything there is true!!!!!!! Some do really believe that!!!! Your "test" was a perfect way to show the farce of it...

I took the test, but it didn't tell me how many I got right. It took me to a new test with 120 questions which I am not willing to spend that much time on.
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
    Something is wrong with the link for me. It takes me to buzz-hearts, then says it can't be found.

I sometimes have difficulty because of the colors - color blindness makes some similarly colored pieced shapes blend into each other. When I look at patterns in magazines, then look at the fabric descriptions and how much of each is needed, I frequently say, "There's no 'color X' in that quilt!"

Then I study the picture of the quilt and see the difference in the pattern of the fabric, but I really don't see the color that was mentioned in the directions.

If the colors of the fabrics are bright or high contrast, then I don't have a problem discerning shapes.

Needless to say, the quilts I make use bright , high contrast fabrics. I learned learned that I can only use 4 - 5 different fabrics in a quilt without getting overwhelmed.

While I can't be sure, I think my Mother had the same problem. I base that on some of her UFOs. When I tried to complete a couple of them, I got lost when I tried to piece them.

Having said that, the test said I'm in the top 4%, probably because quilting has forced me to be more particular when determining shapes! I have noticed a definite improvement from pre-quilting days!
    Last edited by cathyvv; 12-16-2015 at 10:50 PM.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Some people are just good at pattern detection. I am not, and never have been. I worked in IT and those silly pattern tests kept me from getting a few jobs. However, it turned out I was very good at systems analysis because of my logic abilities.

Happily, that surprised even me!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I also was 96%. Was in the 4%.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    hmmm... I was in the top 4% also. Maybe everyone is? Or maybe we're all special.
    LOL I was thinking the same as I was too. It must be a quilters thing.
    Anna Quilts

Me, too!! I'm thinking that Quilter's possibly do better because we are used to seeing patterns where others cannot - although sometimes we just have to'tilt our head to one side or the other to see them! Very interesting test - thought I had messed up in a couple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2