Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How well does this freeze?

Blog Entries
    Banana Bread? I have some bananas that need to be made into some bread or get tossed out. Was thinking of doing it in a 13 x 9 cake pan then cutting it into sections for freezing?
    Will this work?

Banana bread freezes well but you can also just peel the bananas, freeze them whole and then use them in pancakes and banana bread when you need them.

The bread will freeze well if wrapped tightly in foil. Or you can peel the bananas-- just throw them in a ziploc bag. I put 2-3 in each bag as that is how many my receipes usually call for.

Blog Entries
    banana bread freezes very well- we make up 20-30 loaves every year for christmas packages- and freeze them until time to put together packages- comes out great.
    to protect it from freezer burn i cool it completely- then wrap in seran wrap (plastic wrap) then i wrap in tin-foil- and using a sharpie i write on the foil what it is and the date-
    we tend to make it off & on as we have bananas that need to be used-so with the loaves dated i can make sure i give away the oldest first--

Blog Entries
    I prefer to freeze the banannas too. The bread can dry out in the freezer unless you are planning on using it right away :D:D:D

Oh my. We were posting at the same time. Great minds think alike. Or as a friend says - great minds think like me! :)

I actually freeze my bananas with the skin on, just throw them in there. When I get ready to use them, I let them thaw a bit, cut off the end with a knife or scissors, and squeeze into the mixing bowl. SO EASY.

I freeze it all the time as I prefer to make large batches and freeze as I like to limit my time in the kitchen and spend it sewing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    you can also just peel the bananas, freeze them .
    This is the quickest and easiest way to save bananas. Put them in your recipe size portions (say 1 cup portions)

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you just freeze the bananas, keep in mind that frozen bananas taste creamy like ice cream for a lot less calories.

For an even better treat, roll them in crushed nuts and mini chocolate chips before you freeze them. It makes a great treat!

Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone, going to use an Amish recipe for the bread. I have not had homemade banana bread in ages so looking forward to this treat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arkansasquilter123
    I actually freeze my bananas with the skin on, just throw them in there. When I get ready to use them, I let them thaw a bit, cut off the end with a knife or scissors, and squeeze into the mixing bowl. SO EASY.
    This is the way I freeze my over ripe bananas,too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    If you just freeze the bananas, keep in mind that frozen bananas taste creamy like ice cream for a lot less calories.

For an even better treat, roll them in crushed nuts and mini chocolate chips before you freeze them. It makes a great treat!
    Oh that's cute! ... first we are saving the calories of ice cream, and then adding back nuts and chips! :) Love the rationale!!!! :lol:

If you take that frozen banana, and use an immersion blender, you can make it into faux soft serve!

I like to add a frozen banana or two along with other frozen fruit when making a smoothie!! mmmmm!!

When I make any kind of quick bread or any kind of cake I always freeze them for at least a day or two. For some reason they taste better when they thaw.

frozen bananas are great to add to smoothies.

Blog Entries
    Yes, these freeze quite well.
    If you ever wonder "Can this be frozen?" then go to your favorite
    grocery store and look through their freezer section. You'd be surprised at just what you CAN freeze.

I don't like milk, only use it for oatmeal at breakfast, but it's far cheaper to buy it in gallons and throw away what goes bad. But I'm also far too cheap to toss anything that might be good, so I simply freeze it in quart jars, about 3/4 full with loose lids till frozen, then tightened. Before freezing I label them. Now a gallon of milk lasts me weeks and weeks past the "sell date".
    Before I pour it into the freezer jars, I add just a touch of vanilla extract. This seems to add to the taste and is not strong enough to be noticed easily.

Blog Entries
    I like to add a frozen banana or two along with other frozen fruit when making a smoothie!! mmmmm!![/quote]
    ----------------------------------------------
    In making "milk shakes", I always use ice cubes, bananas and milk. Then whatever else I use is simply for flavor, the first 3 ingredients make it thick and creamy.

dont' know about the bread, but I just throw the whole bannana in the freezer in a freezer bag for when i have time or have a need to make the bread or muffins.
    oh yea by the way chocolate chip bananna muffins freeze well! I make them for my kids...

I mash my bananas and measure it into individual ziploc bags and throw them into the freezer. That way, I can freeze the amount necessary to make one recipe at a time OR take out as many bags of frozen mashed bananas as I need for multiple amounts of bread.

please share this recipe!! :) \

Quote Originally Posted by DebsShelties
    Thank you everyone, going to use an Amish recipe for the bread. I have not had homemade banana bread in ages so looking forward to this treat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KimmieH

Posted in recipe section : Amish Banana Bread

Blog Entries
    I always froze banana bread, but I baked it in loaf pans and just put one loaf in each package instead of cutting it.

Blog Entries

Your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Banana bread freezes well but you can also just peel the bananas, freeze them whole and then use them in pancakes and banana bread when you need them.
    I agree. We love bananas here, but don't always eat them before they start turning. So I'm always freezing them or making something with bananas to freeze for later.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast